Damn it!!!

Damn it!!!

Al Lindner

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ 7 258 CID T176
2004 F-150
I think I blew the engine in my 80 CJ7 I just got it and after changing the oil, new fuel pump (oil smelled like gasoline and drained almost 2 gallons out of oil pan) new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. she fired up and I stepped on it just a little hard and I heard a huge clunk and it started running REAL bad and hard to keep running with any load at all. I've never had an engine catistrophicly fail so I am assuming I toasted it.
Anyone have any comments ??

Oh yeah Im pretty sure the motor has a lot of miles nothing works in the dash board including the speedo and odometer

What motor/Transmission ? I've never had one fail either, but I've had other parts fail making it seem like it might be the motor. Stuck starters, clutch assemblies, torque converter/Transmission etc.... Let us know what your set up is, it will help.

with that much gas in the oil there could have been a lubrication problem.
It still runs?? maybe a broken push rod. co0lapsed lifter would do something like this too.:cool:

Sorry guys I listed the specs on the jeep in my profile I just got it to the house on Saturday so I've been kinda busy tring to get it running well enough to put it on the road. I knew a rebuild or a fresh motor was in the future, but I didnt think it would be TWO DAYS after I bought it! I was planning on pulling the head to send it off to a machine shop I guess I'll do that in the morning.
I suppose its a good thing I cleaned out the garage for my new "PROJECT" I'll probably be sleeping with it when the wife finds out how much its gonna cost
Oh Its a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with a T-176 I dont know the Transfer Case yet and a model 20 rear That solid axle is going to have to wait

If it really is gas in the oil that's what has me confused.
You have a mechanical fuel pump attached to the engine but I have never heard of the pump membrane breaking causing that much gas in the oil. Maybe it was anti-freeze.
After you replace the fuel pump did you check the oil? Is it still high?
Even if you fixed the issue with the fuel in the oil it sounds like the damage is done already.

If it really is gas in the oil that's what has me confused.
You have a mechanical fuel pump attached to the engine but I have never heard of the pump membrane breaking causing that much gas in the oil. Maybe it was anti-freeze.
After you replace the fuel pump did you check the oil? Is it still high?
Even if you fixed the issue with the fuel in the oil it sounds like the damage is done already.
The oil DRAINED and the fuel pump was replaced, then new oil was put into the engine. a cracked block or blown head gasket would possibly put water/antifreeze into the oil, BUT it would show as muddy brown goo and would seperate from the oil after it was drained. Gasoline READILY mixes with oil, thinning it considerably. It was Definatly gasoline in the oil.
The diaphram on a mechanical fuel pump can allow quite a bit of gas into the crank case if it goes un noticed also the fellow I bought the jeep from had recently installed a new carb if the old one was malfunctioning it could have contributed to the amount of gas in the pan

Pull that new oil filter off and cut it open, then run a magnet over the filter material and see what comes out of it that can tell you a lot. The easiest way is to knock a hole in it with a screw driver, then use a pair of tin snips to cut the top off, that'll keep any extra metal from the filter casing, outta the oil. Is it knocking any?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Pull that new oil filter off and cut it open, then run a magnet over the filter material and see what comes out of it that can tell you a lot. The easiest way is to knock a hole in it with a screw driver, then use a pair of tin snips to cut the top off, that'll keep any extra metal from the filter casing, outta the oil. Is it knocking any?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
I'm glad I'm here !
Cheepjeep, it is knocking, Hard!
Busa, I hope I didn't come off as an A$$hole. I was just a little cranky yesterday
IO and Hole thank you for the guidance.
I'll get this thing on the road soon ..... after all I DID want a project... Now I HAVE one

i have heard of the pump membrane failing and causing gas in the oil. gas in the oil dilutes the oil causing a bad lubrication problem which causes all kinds of expensive stuff.

sorry to hear your not having a good day but many of us have been there. i had a mazda 4x4 hunting truck that had a small lift on it and some tires and it was in fantastic condition but after playing in a field i bent a valve and it started tapping and i was like screw it and just kept going and the valve broke off and started bouncing around inside the motor making a hilarious noise and so i just kept going and the bouncing valve finally made it through the piston and went down in the bottom of the motor

well it got to the point were is was completely covering the road in a big smoke screen but it was still driving and then it got so weak i had to pull over and this all went down in front of a parts store and all my frinds that work there saw it and they were rolling laughing at me.

and just because it was foreign it was going to be several thousand to replace the straight 6 so i sold it

Well AL the bottom end of these motors are known for coming apart. Time for a new motor hopefully your block is still good.

If poor lubrication ate up your rod and main bearings before you changed the fuel pump and put fresh oil in it, I can see it spinning a bearing or a rod to start knocking, but engines with failing bearings will usually knock or make a lot of clatter while still running ok for a while before a rod actually throws or the crank seizes. If a rod went, it would have either gone through your oil pan(known from personal experience), or jammed into the head. Either way, it wouldn't be to hard to figure it out. My guess is your valve train has issues. A destroyed lifter or two would make it run really bad as you described. Pull the head and let us know what you find.....

Good Luck!

Well AL the bottom end of these motors are known for coming apart. Time for a new motor hopefully your block is still good.

They are ? Can you show some facts behind that comment ?

Don`t tell this to the 200,000 mile plus crowd. They might all park and start walking. :eek:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom