Dana 300 removal

Duhwhat

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 2.5L 4 cylinder
T-4, Dana 300, AMC 20 rear end
I have a leak between the T-4 and the Dana 300 which is evident by the oil leaking down the Transmission brace on the back of the Transmission that bolts to the cross member.

I'm over 60 and while I am pretty fit, I have some reservations about how to handle the above the head weight of the Dana 300 .

Any ideas about how to handle this?

Would you replace all gaskets and seals while you have it down? For some reason I am afraid I will screw up something that isn't broken if I try to do to much. I think I can handle the front seal OK.

(read further if you want the whole story) All comments welcome.

I don't really know if it is the Transfer Case input seal or the rear seal on the Transmission , but I suspect it is the Transfer Case .

I have had a leak going on for some time and found the oil pan plug washer was split and leaked, so I replaced that. Then I noticed a slight leak around the Transmission drain plug.

Then I noticed fluid on the afore mentioned Transmission brace, but it seemed 'different,' maybe old stuff. So I drained and filled from both the Transmission and Transfer Case , thread taped all the plugs, and refilled both with 80-90 gear lube. Then I pressure washed it real good.

After driving it to and from work there is gear oil where the "different stuff" was. When I drained the Dana 300 it had some orange looking stuff in it, so I assume that is why what ever was on the brace looked 'different.'

SO... I'm thinking front Dana 300 seal. I hope I can get this over the counter at an auto parts store.

If you plan on using yourself as a Transmission jack, consider the Dana 300 weighs around 80 lbs. as I recall. That "Orange looking stuff" could be from water, btw. Have fun with your workout.

If you plan on using yourself as a Transmission jack, consider the Dana 300 weighs around 80 lbs. as I recall. That "Orange looking stuff" could be from water, btw. Have fun with your workout.

I will probably try to find a way to tie the Dana 300 to a 2 x 6 spanning the floor board hole. Probably put the U-joint holders back on the yoke and run a strap through them.

I'm over 60 and while I am pretty fit, I have some reservations about how to handle the above the head weight of the Dana 300 .

Any ideas about how to handle this?

It’s hard to get to the Transfer Case with the skid plate in place. Assuming the jeep is sitting with all four tires on the ground what I do is put a pump jack in the middle of the skid plate and lift the jeep up a ½” or so then place a jack stand under the back of the motor with a wood block between the two as a cushion. You may need to adjust how much you lift the jeep so you can get the stand and wood tight to the motor. If necessary jack the jeep up more than needed then lower it down until the motor is firmly on the block of wood. Be careful to not stress the motor mounts by lifting the back of the motor too much. With a little pressure (lift) left on the pump jack unbolt the Transmission mount from the skid plate then the skid plate from the frame and lower the jack and plate to the floor. If the back of the motor is resting on the jack stand properly all will be good and you will have clear access to the Transfer Case . I have dropped transfer cases on to my chest before but a Transmission jack or even the pump jack makes life a lot easier.

I recently pulled mine in the driveway. First I blocked the engine at the oil pan. I took the skid plate off. I used a big floor jack and carefully balanced the Transfer Case and slowlylowered down. I strapped it to the floor jack with a tie down strap. hope this helps

Thanks all. I put a jack stand under the bell housing and also did the strap around the tranny thing. Then I took everything loose as required.

THEN I CALLED MY 30 SOMETHING SON-IN-LAW TO TAKE IT OFF. :chug:

He has done several jeeps and had the technique down pat. Forearm under the Transfer Case , slid it back and lowered it onto his chest. :notworthy:

Looks like I will replace the rear Transmission and front Transfer Case seals and slap it back on.

I sure as heaven hope this takes care of my oil leak issues.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom