Dana 300

Dana 300

Germy

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 jeep cj7 360 20 rear and 30 front w/warn lockers 5 speed tranny,

1971 dodge dart built 318
Should I rebuild or buy new? 600 new, 300 to rebuild plus parts kit. 26 year year old Dana 300 . I think that it would be easier to replace, thoughts?

Thanks jeremy

Does $600 truely get you a new Dana 300 ? I didn't think they have been built for years. I think it is just rebuilt. Ask the company that is selling them.
My vote goes to rebuilding it yourself. It's easy and you'll save money.

I'd get yours rebuilt and add a 4 to 1 kit

I'd get yours rebuilt and add a 4 to 1 kit
I second that.
Germy if you do much off-roading that's an excellent upgrade. It replaces all the gears in the TCase. I did it for my Dana 20 but with the Dana 20 the lowest I could go was 3 to 1. I had to do a little grinding to fit the bigger gears in the TCase but it was still a very easy upgrade. The only downside is that it costs over $800. Keep in mind you are getting all new gears.
TeraFl2.jpg

Amazon.com: Advance Adapters 430000 Tera Low Dana 300 4:1 Gear Set Transfer Case: Automotive

Ouch! Is it something that a rookie can do?

What if driving to work at normal speeds in 4h? Will this kit be geared too low for a dd?

What if driving to work at normal speeds in 4h? Will this kit be geared too low for a dd?
It only changes 4L not 4H

Gotcha. I think that i will give it a shot! Gotta wait for funds.

Fill us in on how it goes.:chug:

Will do, probably be able to order in a month or so. My house has drained me.

Also look at wha type of wheeling your doing.. IF its rock crawling the 4-1 is great.. if its mud and snow the 4-1 will lower your wheel speed and could make it harder to get the rig out of those situations.

Also look at wha type of wheeling your doing.. IF its rock crawling the 4-1 is great.. if its mud and snow the 4-1 will lower your wheel speed and could make it harder to get the rig out of those situations.

Couldn't he just run 4H if higher wheel speeds is desirable?

Not trying to be combative, just a thought... :chug:

~ JR

That would be my thought pattern as well , although I dont spend alot of time in mud. And Im definately looking forward to see the rebuild. ;)
Couldn't he just run 4H if higher wheel speeds is desirable?

Not trying to be combative, just a thought... :chug:

~ JR

The only thing we have in Ohio is mud. Should i just do a stock rebuild and save 800 bones?

It's not my rig but if I were in the same situation I would stock rebuild and use the money you were going to put into the tera low into a front locker.. And gears. You really don't need crazy low t/c for mud work. Check out what other guys kidding are running and see how yours compares. Remember you need to spin the wheels in mud to clean out the tread.

It's not my rig but if I were in the same situation I would stock rebuild and use the money you were going to put into the tera low into a front locker.. And gears. You really don't need crazy low t/c for mud work. Check out what other guys kidding are running and see how yours compares. Remember you need to spin the wheels in mud to clean out the tread.

All good advice! Especially since you are all mud.

In my area, a all around capable rig is what I'm aiming for... :rolleyes:

:chug:

The only thing we have in Ohio is mud. Should i just do a stock rebuild and save 800 bones?

Thats why we go to KY. not much mud but lots of rocks.
I'd save the $800 for now till you wheel it for awhile, I still run the stock gears and find 2wd low great for trail running.

If there isnt any rock crawling in your future Id go with the stock rebuild. Id make believe I needed the extra $800 though, and sink it somewhere else. :D

Your probably going to run into a few things with your Cj if you run it in the mud. Your profile says nothing about 1 piece axles for your AMC20 . Theres $200. The T-5 tranny you have isnt the strongest Transmission either. Im betting the mud will burn it up pretty quick considering its about as old as you are. :)

Im not a real mud runner so I would send you to Mylittlecj5 for his opinion on a good mud running Transmission . Im thinking after the high horsepower mud bogs and tree removals (:D) hes done he can point you in the right direction

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom