Dana 44 Carrier

Dana 44 Carrier

jwill22

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 Cj-7, rebuilt 258i, Carb-Motorcraft 2150, TFI ignition, T-176, Dana 300, dana 30 in front, Rear Dana 44, 4in lift, 33in tires, 4:10 gears
quick question, can you use the same spider gears that are in a carrier geared for 3:73 and down for a carrier 3:92 and up?

i have another question, whats the difference between 3 series and 4 series carriers for a Dana 44 ?? is that significant?

Yes, significant. 3 and 4 carriers designate that the gear ratios that can be used are for 3.54 and down or 3.73 and up. They are not interchangeable.

i have another question, whats the difference between 3 series and 4 series carriers for a Dana 44 ?? is that significant?

The carrier has the flat that the ring gear bolts to. In relation to the centerline of the carrier the 3 vs. 4 will have different offsets. With the 4 series being more "centered" then the 3.

As the ratio goes up (4.10 to say 5.13) the pinion gear gets smaller. Thus the ring gear needs to be moved over closer to the CL of the pinion.

Think about "thick" gears that work on 3 series carriers but have 4 series ratios. Then you will understand the offset.

is there a way to easily distinguish a 3 series carrier to a 4 series carrier? is there a stamp i can find that would tell me.. or would i have place the ring on both carriers thus seeing which one is more midline?

is there a way to easily distinguish a 3 series carrier to a 4 series carrier? is there a stamp i can find that would tell me.. or would i have place the ring on both carriers thus seeing which one is more midline?
Is the carrier in a diff?

1 of them is which is supposedly the 3 series is inside my axle, but is out of the jeep... so accessing it wont be hard... and today im go look at a carrier that someone said should hold gears 4:10 and up. He said he used that carrier with his 4:56 gears.

I actually have a question. Is there any dana 44s that will slip right in a 82 CJ7 ?

Its best to star a post of your own when asking a question. that way you dont clog up the original posters thread with junk he doesnt want to read.

That said heres a short answer for you. The only Dana 44 that was under a Cj was in late 1986 when there were still Cjs left to finish but no Amc20s. You can get one every once in awhile but their expensive and only for rear axle applications. Dana 44s found under the J-trucks and Full size Cherokees were much wider and require fabrication to install.
I actually have a question. Is there any dana 44s that will slip right in a 82 CJ7 ?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom