Dash lights

Dash lights

nctom

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 CJ 7, 258 i6, 3 speed
My dash is totally dark - the lights in the cluster are out as well as the indicators over the accessory knobs. I have checked / replaced the fuses but no luck.

Any chance it could be the headlight switch? Any thoughts on how I might test and see?

Another thought is an open ground, but I have to peel off the dash to figure that out.

Thanks!

had the same problem. change the switch and everything lit up again.

If the ground is in doubt, just rub a jumper wire from the neg. battery terminal to a screw on the dash.:cool:

The light switch has a spring that controls the dimmer effect
It breaks and grounds out the switch.
If I'm remembering right.
I believe you can take the switch apart and fix it
If not a new one is needed.
I'd try the ground mentioned above first.

I have the same problem. Do I have to use a JEEP switch or can I just go to the local parts store and go to the "Help" section and get a universal?

I recomend a jeep switch, cause it should plug right in. if not you COULD use a universal, just make sure you have all the wires right....

duralast sw186. autozone has them. i think mine was 5 bucks

OK... upon further inspection after removing the old switch I noticed the orange lead wire was disconnected from the switch. I connected it and lights came on but they stay on even with the headlights turned off.
Could a bad switch cause this too?

OK... upon further inspection after removing the old switch I noticed the orange lead wire was disconnected from the switch. I connected it and lights came on but they stay on even with the headlights turned off.
Could a bad switch cause this too?

Sure can. If you want to save the $$ a new switch would cost you, open the old one up and see if you can clean it out some. Maybe some of that electronic parts cleaner spray would do it. Amazon.com: CRC Lectra-Motive Electric Parts Cleaner 20 Ounce Aerosol Spray p/n 05018:…

ok...i replaced the switch and it made no difference anywhere. dash lights stay on and no bliners. I cut a toggle in between the power for dash lights but i still need blinkers. blinker fluid is full :)

There is more than one orange wire from the light switch, I think. you may have to pull the switch and find the terminals that come from the rheostat switch. check resistance from the body of the switch to the terminals. check this one at a time while turning the rheostat knob on the light switch.
Which ever wire corresponds to that terminal is the one that should be wired to your dash lights.
See if this helps and let me know.

I have determined that the wiring diagram in the Haynes is much better than the one in the Chilton's the, the FSM is about twice as big and thus tons easier to read.
check the archives for diagrams on line.:cool:

the terminal labeled dash lights is a red with white traced 18 ga. wire than goes to the fuse block. it connects to connection 66 through a fuse and to connection 11A where it goes to the light array. the fuse in question should be the row farthest to the passengers side and second down. check for voltage to ground on both ends of the fuse, this takes a 3 amp fuse, by the way. the wire to the light bundel is orange and comes directly out of the fuse (power distribution) panel. Good luck.

Should look like this.There's a jumper in there also

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom