Differential widths?? wide vs narrow

Differential widths?? wide vs narrow
I understand what you guys are saying about rotating it to achieve the correct pinion and caster angles, but what I was asking is why our Jeeps have to run negative caster, but when I look up the Scout specs they run 0 caster. I have driven some scouts over the years and although not the best driving vehicles, the steering does return to center with 0 caster. Not a big deal, just my own curiosity is all.

Springs and or mounts can be different putting the springs at an angle which give the proper negative caster.

And what's with that weird link between the front shackles on late Scout2's?

It's intention is to limit sway and lateral movement. I believe it to be a carry over from large truck suspensions where I have seen it several times over the years. IHC was notorious for sharing technology between divisions.
The theory works ok on large trucks but the suspension design and application is different. On light duty vehicles the bar works a bit too well and results in poor axle articulation. In large truck chassis independent axle end articulation is not as desired as it is in the lighter chassis.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks