dipstick oil leak

dipstick oil leak

stroked10

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
76 CJ5 with SOA on 33X12.50
76 CJ5 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l
Seems as if we have oil coming / leaking from around the dipstick. Easy fix? Please share your experience on this one.

76 CJ5 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l
Seems as if we have oil coming / leaking from around the dipstick. Easy fix? Please share your experience on this one.
How much blow-by do you have to much can cause the oil to be blown out the dipstick. Check your pcv valve make sure its not plugged up. Would be my first check. Or do you have a vented cap on the valve cover it could be clogged up to.

How much blow-by do you have to much can cause the oil to be blown out the dipstick. Check your pcv valve make sure its not plugged up. Would be my first check. Or do you have a vented cap on the valve cover it could be clogged up to.

funny thing is I have both a little air filter looking thing and a pcv valve. The oil appears to be coming from the disptick area. Going to try a new o-ring on the stick itself and see if this helps. The little motor is about worn out I know and I do have blow-by but this is almost shameful.

1.. Pretty sure there is no O ring around the tube
2.. There's a good chance you will break the tube trying to remove it
3.. I don't think the oil level should ever get closet the tube opening.

Clean the tube, remove the stick and drive around with it out. If you dont get oil leaking from the tube like that thn you hav a blow by issue.

If oil is leaking from around the dip stick, try pulling it out a little bit and clean it. Put some RTV silicone around it and push it back in to seal it.

same thing that Purple77CJ7 said but I would use PERMATEX #2 (Non-Hardening) because it works better with Oily Residue, Silicone won't stick very well to Oil.:cool:

Either way clean with brake clean.

If its already leaking from the bottom of the tube the chances are that its already cracked or split. I've had to clean and epoxy mine as a quick fix since you have to order the tube probably

few ideas.....

old engines with lots of blow by from pistons can add excess gas pressure to the engine body... The PCV Valve is used to suck these warm rising gases out of engine, this also cuts down on coating the internals, and burns those blow by gasses to try and reburn the hydrocarbons that are in that blowby (gas&oil)

The guys above have some nice ideas if the tube and block are leaking. The bit of RTV to stop the leak is a good idea. My tube was so tigth unless it was taped out from inside the engine it would have broken. If correct they are pretty tight...

Many blow out the top of tube where the dip stick enters. There is a O Ring there to help seal up the opeing.. Will stop leak and also help the PCV Valve system work better.. This is worth replacing or adding if not there or old. The next part..... there are a Three Finger Spring set up on the top part of dip stick...... This shoould fits snug in the dip stick tube so the oring stays engaged. With a flat blade screw driver carefully pry the fingers apart a bit.... test with a slide in tube so you get the right feel.... not to tight but snug to hold it down. That little change will keep the O Ring engaged.

If your oil gets black quickly... engine has lots of blow by. Carbon and blowby make the oil get black. Get Black in 800 900 miles or so you have lots of blow by...

I fixed my problem with the dipstick leaking. Found a vacuum cap, slit a small cut into that, the dispstick would fit through but fit the tube snugly. No more leaking!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom