Driveline swap?

Driveline swap?
Any idea on how to fix the problem? Will the 350 with a 350 turbo Transmission that im planning to put in it fix the problem?

Should be a Dana 20 . 6000 rpms makes me think your in low range. Id check again. Maybe your shifter moves but the linkage is bound?
Ya its in 2wd high, not sure what the Transfer Case is. What ever comes stock on a 77 CJ5 . Its only got one stick on it

BTW - Switching to an auto will still give you 1:1 3rd gear output ratio and maybe even less unless you have a lockup converter (converter slip) - you will not gain anything with your final gear ratio (no top end advantage).

as cj said same 1:1 final gear ratio... so no it wont fix the problem
you need to figure out wats going on first,

Right now the jeep is just a tub sitting on a frame cuz im doing a frame off resto, So checking if its in low isnt really possible. But i was driving it for about a year and did alot of offroading and daily driving so im almost positive i had it in 2 hi.

Driving it on the highway at 65 in low range would explain the Transmission being hot and the 6000 rpms. If moving the Transfer Case lever doesnt fix it go underneath and clean and lube the linkage. In fact do that anyway. Look for anything bent that would be causing it to bind. The Dana 20 can be a bit testy to get in and out of gear. You can usually coax it by driving it at idle in 1 st gear and moving the shifter to the correct position.

Wheres the Transmission and Transfer Case ?
Right now the jeep is just a tub sitting on a frame cuz im doing a frame off resto, So checking if its in low isnt really possible. But i was driving it for about a year and did alot of offroading and daily driving so im almost positive i had it in 2 hi.

Back to the 350 swap, how big of a lift do you plan to run? the more lift you have the harder it will be to get a driveshaft to work,

I still have them, There just not in the vehicle anymore. It dosnt apear to be stuck at all, It actually shifts fairly smooth. But im doing a full restore on it so i guess ill get a crate AMC 304 and a brand new Transmission and Transfer Case for it and just make it close to original.

im just gonna do a 4 inch lift so i can fit 33's on it

Its kind of a moot point to check what location the shifter is in now then. It could easily have been moved since then. Ive heard this described before and its easy to knock them around in the close quarters of a CJ5 . Your Dana 20 pattern should be from top to bottom

4H
2H
N
4L

Kinda strange it would get knocked through neutral into 4 low without you knowing. It can happen though when climbing into the backseat for something when its parked. It really does sound like what you described though.
I still have them, There just not in the vehicle anymore. It dosnt apear to be stuck at all, It actually shifts fairly smooth. But im doing a full restore on it so i guess ill get a crate AMC 304 and a brand new Transmission and Transfer Case for it and just make it close to original.

aslong as you have it all tore down, take the diff. covers off and see for sure what gears you have. They need new fluid anyway.

Thanks alot for all the help guys, I was compleatly stumped. I think i will get a crate AMC 304 , Im nastalgic like that and if i can keep it set up how it was original it would be nice and it sounds like it would be less of a headach in the end.

I got a friend selling brand new dana 60's would those be good axles to put on my CJ5 ?

Thanks alot for all the help guys, I was compleatly stumped. I think i will get a crate AMC 304 , Im nastalgic like that and if i can keep it set up how it was original it would be nice and it sounds like it would be less of a headach in the end.
Sorry for not getting back to this thread until now - but it seams to be covered pretty well.. :) Thanks guys!

Yep - Your stuck in low range - no doubt about it... :( Even 30" tires at 65 MPH with 3.07 gears is only 2295 RPM - In Low range (2x1) that would be 4590

If your going to change out the AMC 304 - drop in a 360 - you'll be much happier... :)

I got a friend selling brand new dana 60's would those be good axles to put on my CJ5 ?

With the short wheelbase of a CJ5 I have to say no. You would need to be running 38" tires to need them.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom