driveshaft

driveshaft

rr41mag

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
04 dodge truck, 1966 chevy truck, 2012 rav4
And finally a 1981 jeep cj7 258 hardtop
Without cutting how can I get a little more length to my rear drive shaft? I put a 4" lift in and the splines are showing. I was thinking of getting a cv joint and adding that in?

don't know of anyway except to cut it and add what you need.
to put the "cv" end on you would have to cut it anyway.
If I were you I would go the cv route as you will probally need it anyway.;)

don't know of anyway except to cut it and add what you need.
to put the "CV" end on you would have to cut it anyway.
If I were you I would go the CV route as you will probably need it anyway.;)
I know this has been asked before but if you go with the CV end drive shaft will you also have to relocate you spring perch's to or will the CV end take care of this I have the Transfer Case lowering kit on now but would like to go back up with it for more clearance. I read bustadave explanation on drive shaft angles and know that you should keep the angle between 0 and 3 degrees but with the CV drive shaft is this still necessary?

I know this has been asked before but if you go with the CV end drive shaft will you also have to relocate you spring perch's to or will the CV end take care of this I have the Transfer Case lowering kit on now but would like to go back up with it for more clearance. I read bustadave explanation on drive shaft angles and know that you should keep the angle between 0 and 3 degrees but with the CV drive shaft is this still necessary?
With the "CV" joint the rear diff should point up at the t-c joint, usually 1-2 degerres below to allow for some axle worp.
see tom-woods site for a good write-up on this.

No real cheap way here.

"no time to do it right, but always time to do it over"

Ive never had to do any driveline mods with a 4" lift.

Did you install the tcase drop?

Ive never had to do any driveline mods with a 4" lift.

Did you install the tcase drop?
Most people don't want to drop the tcase and loose the ground clearance.;)

Most people don't want to drop the tcase and loose the ground clearance.;)

True, but with such a short vehicle and the tcase still being 1' or so inches higher than the diff you'd have to be crawling over some REALLY nasty stuff for a 1" tcase drop to matter.

Yea i did a Transfer Case drop. I have about an inch of splines showing from the yoke. Should I be concerned about that? I'm not going to do any hard core fourwheeling. This is my daily driver.

This is my first Jeep and its a 73. Came with a 4" lift and there were no splines showing on my driveshaft. Generally you won't see any splines on the driveshaft unless its about to pull apart. This is done by design so that dirt can't mix in with the grease and cause you problems. In all my years as an auto tech I can't recall seeing splines exposed but Jeeps definitely are their own breed. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Personally, because of the issues that can come up if it is done wrong, drive shafts is one of the things I outsource.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom