Drivetrain Problems

Vick68

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973 Cj5 71 AMC 360 4 spd Manual Front & Rear lockers,
1999 F250 extended cab 5spd Triton V10
Ok this is my major problem now. I just got my cj home a few weeks ago and I've been trying to figure out its problems. My main problem is it will go into all the gears before I crank it up, but it will not go into first or second gear once its running. I'm wondering if its the clutch or if it could be the sycronizers in the tranny. I haven't had much dealings with manual trannys so I don't know what I need to do to tell or if I just need to replace the clutch and see if that fixes the problem.

Ok this is my major problem now. I just got my cj home a few weeks ago and I've been trying to figure out its problems. My main problem is it will go into all the gears before I crank it up, but it will not go into first or second gear once its running. I'm wondering if its the clutch or if it could be the sycronizers in the tranny. I haven't had much dealings with manual trannys so I don't know what I need to do to tell or if I just need to replace the clutch and see if that fixes the problem.

if its the clutch try adjusting the linkage if its a not a hydrolic clutch. the pedal should have a little play in it when the clutch is engaged (as in no foot pressing it in) if its a hydrolic clutch it might need bleed. If that doesnt help pull off the top cover of the tranny and inspect it its just about 6 bolts on mine and see if the gears are rounded off. Once you pull that cover off you should easily beable to no if its an internal problem since they are very very simple on the inside. I believe mine had to be in 2nd or first for the shifter and lid to pop off on my T-14 hope that helps

if it's been sitting for a lengthy period, the clutch disc could be stuck to the flywheel, not disengaging.

Thanks Ima try to get to the bottom of it this weekend. I'm working on the brakes right now. So when I get that done I can play with it more. But thanks for the ideas do you know what the standard 4 spd tranny was in that CJ5 in 1973 it originally had the AMC 304 .

Thanks Ima try to get to the bottom of it this weekend. I'm working on the brakes right now. So when I get that done I can play with it more. But thanks for the ideas do you know what the standard 4 spd tranny was in that CJ5 in 1973 it originally had the AMC 304 .

A 4 speed tranny was never offered behind an AMC 304 in a CJ except for 1979 when it could be ordered as an option. (The only 4 speed used during 1972 to 1979 was a T-18 and then only behind the I6, except 1979) So, your 1973 CJ has either had a motor or a Transmission transplant. From the sound of your symptoms my bet is on the clutch as mentioned before or the pilot busing and the Transmission shaft are ticking from a lack of lubrication.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The tranny is probably an inplant also. I know the engine is out of 1971 javelin so the tranny may be from any year IDK. The PO I got it from didn't know much about the Jeep, all the work was done by the PO that had it before him. But I know for a fact that its a 4spd. How can I go about finding out what the jeep originally had in it Engine and Tranny.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom