Engine EGR help!!

ScramblerCO

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Cj-8 Scrambler
258 4.2L I6
Hey Everyone.

I have a 1982 CJ8 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l that I’m currently in the process of installing an EFI system to replace my carb. This jeep is fairly new to me and I found that I have a Clifford 6=8 intake manifold. Well it appears that it doesn’t have a spot for an EGR. Can someone confirm this and if so, is that going to affect my emissions? Do I just leave that vacuum line out?

I’m installing a Howell EPi system.

Appreciate the help!

IMG_1888.jpeg

:welcome:

Since your in CO and you do not have smog checks you can run without the EGR system.
The hose that the RED arrow is pointing to should be for the brake booster.
But, what is weird is that the
GREEN arrow is pointing to what looks like an O2 sensor. Does it currently have EFI? The wire looks melted. Is it connected? Has it had a 4.0 head swap?

IMG_1888.jpeg

Appreciate the help Admin!

So I was told I need to pass emissions to get plates, I failed big time with my carb system. With no ERG, will that affect it?

The red arrow had my CTO valve attached to it. Should I just run that to my brake booster?

And yeah that is an old O2 sensor which wasn’t plugged into anything. Unsure on its history. I’ll replace it with my new system!

Appreciate the help Admin!

1) So I was told I need to pass emissions to get plates, I failed big time with my carb system. With no ERG, will that affect it?

2) The red arrow had my CTO valve attached to it. Should I just run that to my brake booster?

3) And yeah that is an old O2 sensor which wasn’t plugged into anything. Unsure on its history. I’ll replace it with my new system!

1) Ahh, parts of your county require testing... :(

cos.JPG

2) Since you have smog testing leave as is.

3) Your CJ originally was equipped with a computer controlled carb and that is why your down pipe has an O2 sensor.

To get your Jeep smog certified may be a crazy pain depending on CO's requirements. You would never be able to in CA as they require all original equipment or CARB certs.
Does CO require just a sniffer test?

Per CO - (This may apply)
Vehicles 1982 and newer are exempt from emissions testing for seven years based on their model year. After the exemption period, vehicles 1982 and newer must be tested every two years, and vehicles 1981 and older must be tested annually. The registration renewal postcard will indicate if an emissions test is required.

Do you have any friends or family that live in a county that does not require testing? It may be less hassle to take up temporary residence if so ;)

Scrambler,
Sorry, but you’ll likely need to pass the visual and sniffer test. I’m just down the road from you in Castle Rock and had to comply when I installed Howell on my ‘86.
Howell makes a CA approved type kit, which I used and passed the test with. CO adopted CA’s restrictions.
Do you have this version from Howell?

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Scrambler,
Sorry, but you’ll likely need to pass the visual and sniffer test. I’m just down the road from you in Castle Rock and had to comply when I installed Howell on my ‘86.
Howell makes a CA approved type kit, which I used and passed the test with. CO adopted CA’s restrictions.
Do you have this version from Howell?
Ouch, I had a feeling that would be the case. Clifford non EGR intake will not fly... :(

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom