electrical help

electrical help

CK25

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 cj7 renegade v8 304
1973 cj5 inline 6 unsure
Ok this is what i got. 1978 CJ7 with v8 AMC 304 QuadraTrac . I have replaced the turn signal switch in the steering column replaced the fuse as well. replaced the dimmer switch too. I got the head lights to work however when the running lights are on the signals do not work. While i look at the bulb only one filiment has power the same filiment works for both running and turn the second filiment does not appear to recive any power. when I run just the turn signals they all (front and rear) flash. To top this all off the grill its self is somehow producing power. I took the batt completely out and where the headlights are spose to be grounded the voltmeter registers .026-.028. the fenders are good they have no positive reading. I am considering just replaceing it all but cannot afford one. The cheaper ones I have found do not have the wires that run to the t-case. Any ideas.

Do you have a good diagram?? A good meter??:cool:

this is my favorite diagram, check out his store for one for your jeep.

Jeep 1979 CJ-5 & CJ-7 COLOR Wiring Diagram 11 x 17 | eBay

and a pretty good meter for under $20.
Digital Multimeter - Save on this AC/DC Digital Multimeter
:D

Ok this is what i got. 1978 CJ7 with v8 AMC 304 QuadraTrac . I have replaced the turn signal switch in the steering column replaced the fuse as well. replaced the dimmer switch too. I got the head lights to work however when the running lights are on the signals do not work. While i look at the bulb only one filiment has power the same filiment works for both running and turn the second filiment does not appear to recive any power. when I run just the turn signals they all (front and rear) flash. To top this all off the grill its self is somehow producing power. I took the batt completely out and where the headlights are spose to be grounded the voltmeter registers .026-.028. the fenders are good they have no positive reading. I am considering just replaceing it all but cannot afford one. The cheaper ones I have found do not have the wires that run to the t-case. Any ideas.

You didn't say if you checked the bulb harness itself for voltage on the two leads. Both circuits get ground from the same source. Sounds like your bulbs aren't properly seated, to me.

Some off-brand replacement pigtails allow the bulb to seat improperly.

Ask me how I know.:bang:

You didn't say if you checked the bulb harness itself for voltage on the two leads. Both circuits get ground from the same source. Sounds like your bulbs aren't properly seated, to me.

Some off-brand replacement pigtails allow the bulb to seat improperly.

Ask me how I know.:bang:
I agree. I've struggled for years with the ballast design, they dont allow the bulb ideal contact with the leads...and a weak bulb connection, just one, causes really strange things to happen with your entire lighting system. :wtf:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom