Electrical Help

Electrical Help

Nwolford51

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Alright I have been working on building a 1980 CJ7 . I am having a few electrical glitches. I replaced the tub and the harness was already on the tub that I switched too. On the tub I took off I had a new fuse box and the one I replaced it with I have the old style round fuses. Which is no big deal to me as long as they work. I am having problem with some of the spades on the older fuse block producing power. Does anyone know why these wouldn't be producing power. Where does the instrument cluseters ground out? any help or references to sites would be appreciated. I am thinking about buying a painless wire harness but the harness is in great shape and has not been cut and all wires are in good working order.

what year is the new tub??
is the tub grounded to the negative terminal of the battery?
you may want to split the block that goes through the fire wall and clean and grease it ( dielectric grease).
the cluster grounds to the dash which grounds to the tub which grounds to the battery , I think.

Alright I have been working on building a 1980 CJ7 . I am having a few electrical glitches. I replaced the tub and the harness was already on the tub that I switched too. On the tub I took off I had a new fuse box and the one I replaced it with I have the old style round fuses. Which is no big deal to me as long as they work. I am having problem with some of the spades on the older fuse block producing power. Does anyone know why these wouldn't be producing power. Where does the instrument cluseters ground out? any help or references to sites would be appreciated. I am thinking about buying a painless wire harness but the harness is in great shape and has not been cut and all wires are in good working order.

Some of the terminals are switched power come are not. Make sure you have the key in the right position first.

A problem I found with some of the old round fuse boxes is that corrosion has set in under the rivets and don't conduct anymore. Not to much you can do unless you feel like drilling out the rivets and putting bolts or a new rivet after cleaning up the connections.

Were exactly are you having problems?
Fuse%20block1.jpg

I can see that happening, especially in Ohio. The only way to be sure is to check continuity from back to front.
Do you do anything with yours to prevent this John, spray the back of the fuse block with something??

I can see that happening, especially in Ohio. The only way to be sure is to check continuity from back to front.
Do you do anything with yours to prevent this John, spray the back of the fuse block with something??

I actually put a newer harness in mine from an 84 CJ. Everything fits even though it's almost 10 years later.

However spraying some coating over it is probably not a bad Idea. I just some stuff for the battery terminals that might work back there also as long as the corrosion hasn't already started.

I'll have to check the active ingredients in the spray.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom