engine diesels?

engine diesels?

rr41mag

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
04 dodge truck, 1966 chevy truck, 2012 rav4
And finally a 1981 jeep cj7 258 hardtop
After I run my jeep for a while, when I go to shut it off it keeps turning over. A really bad smell comes out of the exhaust too! I have to put it in gear and let out the clutch with the brake on to kill it sometimes. I have the dui dizzy with a header, everything else is stock AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l

Re: engine deasels?

Buy a better grade of gas.:chug:

Having the idle set to high will cause this.

It just runs so good it doesn't want to stop.

I would try advancing the spark some more, just for grins.:D

I would try advancing the spark some more, just for grins.:D

I concor, if that doesn't fix it, I would think about rebuilding the carb. The reason a gasoline engine diesels is that it's still getting gas into the combustion chamber, even after the ignition is turned off. So, you're timing is off, allowing gas in there when it isn't supposed to, or your carb is letting gas flow through it, went it isn't supposed to.

It didn't do this before the distributor change so I guess that may be it then

It didn't do this before the distributor change so I guess that may be it then
Hmm... You did not mention that you changed the dizzy or that this started when you changed it (some times it's good give as much information as you can.) What was the timing set to before you changed the dist?

I put a fuel filter in and adjusted the dizzy and it still does it. Adjust to 12 degrees?

if 12 wont work try 14. advance it until it bucks when you try to start it and then retard 2 or three deg.:D
then look at the diesel thing again.

I put a fuel filter in and adjusted the dizzy and it still does it. Adjust to 12 degrees?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom