Engine Idle boggs down

Engine Idle boggs down
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7
When I hit my accelerator on my CJ w/ AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l straight 6, sometimes my engine starts to bog down as if it is not getting enough air or fuel when I hit the gas... Then it will pick up and go.

I wanna say this is in the carb (maybe) any suggestion on this?

When was your last real good tune up? How long has it been since a carb rebuild? What carb is on it? Fuel filter nice and clean. Sounds like it's time for a cleaning.

sounds like a needle in the carb clogged, that is what my YJ did

almost sounds like a timing issue to me, when was the last time it had a timing light on it? any backfires or hickups through the carb?. And does it have stock ignition or has it had the Teamrush upgrade?.

could also be a bad accelerater pump.

I know it was having a timing issue in the past and it actually feels similar to that... It has the stock ignition on it... It has a slight hickup but no more backfiring that sounds like a gun shot... Just a small if any hickup...

NF just time it with a light and then if still hiccuping then move on to the carb. Then if that doesn't work then we'll go from there.

KicknJeep,

Here is what I just wrote on another post:

"Elwood, Today I started my jeep just fine and then I drove it for about 30 min. Then I shut it off at a friends house. When I went to start it back up it was having trouble starting and then it smelled flooded. I removed the air filter off of my Weber Carb. I then had a friend try and start it while I manually opened the choke this allowed more air to enter and then the jeep started no problem.

I am wondering if there is a way to adjust the choke on this carb?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks