Engine Missing

Engine Missing
This is starting to sound like a fuel filter or maybe a float out of adj.
Does it act like it's running out of gas, or is it flooding out?
I rebuilt the carb 2 weeks ago after this started happening. I double checked the float adjustment. I changed out the fuel filter in the carb and this morning I replaced the in-line fuel filter. I'm just waiting for my clutch slave cylinder to come in tomorrow so I can test drive the new fuel filter. I opened up the old filter and it didn't look bad. There wasn't any sludge or foreign matter. Before I take it out tomorrow I will double check the plugs to make sure there isn't anything built up. I just changed the plugs a few days ago and I've driven the Jeep just around the neighborhood a fews times since then. It always seems to start crapping out after a few minutes.

When my daughter was about 5 or 6 I made the remark that the engine was missing and she asked is all seriousness "where did it go Daddy?" I guess you just had to be there.;)

The four banger isn’t my strong point but you say it happens when going up hill??
My first thought is what happens when you incline the motor and does putting it under a load cause the problem. A change in vacuum happens when the load increases?
It does sound like a fuel problem.
The next time it happens don’t try to start it, take the breather off and pump the throttle and see if there is fuel being delivered to the carb or if it is dry. If the carb has run out of fuel you can look for the problem upstream , fuel pump , clogged line, pinched, cracked or broken rubber fuel line and last but not least the pick up tube and tank. You will please notice I left the tank for last.
If you are running out of fuel it should be pretty easy to find out where.

When my daughter was about 5 or 6 I made the remark that the engine was missing and she asked is all seriousness "where did it go Daddy?" I guess you just had to be there.;)

The four banger isn’t my strong point but you say it happens when going up hill??
My first thought is what happens when you incline the motor and does putting it under a load cause the problem. A change in vacuum happens when the load increases?
It does sound like a fuel problem.
The next time it happens don’t try to start it, take the breather off and pump the throttle and see if there is fuel being delivered to the carb or if it is dry. If the carb has run out of fuel you can look for the problem upstream , fuel pump , clogged line, pinched, cracked or broken rubber fuel line and last but not least the pick up tube and tank. You will please notice I left the tank for last.
If you are running out of fuel it should be pretty easy to find out where.
Thanks for the info. After I replaced the clutch slave cylinder tomorrow I'll be sure to take it out. I live at the bottom of 2 hills so even if the engine dies out, atleast I can roll back to my driveway.

but if you can't find the problem you may never get out!:eek:

Thanks for the info. After I replaced the clutch slave cylinder tomorrow I'll be sure to take it out. I live at the bottom of 2 hills so even if the engine dies out, atleast I can roll back to my driveway.

but if you can't find the problem you may never get out!:eek:
Haha! I drove it yesterday around the block, so I know I can make it that far. The problem comes into play after I've been driving for around 5 minutes. I'll be doing laps around the block and then all the sudden like on the third go around, the engine willl start sputtering. I noticed if I throw it in neutral when it starts sputtering and I rev it, the engine will "come back to life".

I'm still thinking fuel supply, check the rubber for leaks, back near the tank. Like after a bit of vibration you are opening a hole big enough to suck air. When you wind up the engine you increase the flow on the pump enough to overcome it for a while??
Sounds good so far?:cool:

I still bet if you let it die you will find the carb is dry.

I'm still thinking fuel supply, check the rubber for leaks, back near the tank. Like after a bit of vibration you are opening a hole big enough to suck air. When you wind up the engine you increase the flow on the pump enough to overcome it for a while??
Sounds good so far?:cool:

I still bet if you let it die you will find the carb is dry.
Drove my Jeep yesterday and went up hill. Like before, it died out. So I didn't try restarting it. I moved the accelerator pump on the carb and fuel sprayed down the throat of the carb. Finally puzzled...today I was looking around the engine bay and I noticed that the vacuum advance line on my distributor was super loose. So I threw a zip tie around it to see if that could've been the problem. Drove the Jeep around for a good 20 minutes. Up hills, down hills. I believe that the loose vacuum advance line was the problem. Does that sound right? Considering this is my first Jeep, I'm still learning about everything.

At this point I would say that if it works that must have been the problem.
Once more there is solid proof, it is better to be lucky than smart.
Way to go Sanchez!!:punk:

Drove my Jeep yesterday and went up hill. Like before, it died out. So I didn't try restarting it. I moved the accelerator pump on the carb and fuel sprayed down the throat of the carb. Finally puzzled...today I was looking around the engine bay and I noticed that the vacuum advance line on my distributor was super loose. So I threw a zip tie around it to see if that could've been the problem. Drove the Jeep around for a good 20 minutes. Up hills, down hills. I believe that the loose vacuum advance line was the problem. Does that sound right? Considering this is my first Jeep, I'm still learning about everything.

At this point I would say that if it works that must have been the problem.
Once more there is solid proof, it is better to be lucky than smart.
Way to go Sanchez!!:punk:
Thanks for everything IO. I sure did learn a lot from this experience. I guess it'll probably be one of many considering I will probably never get rid of this CJ5 . Thanks again.

so you found the engine, good

and I suppose you would have us believe you have never misplaced an engine.:rolleyes:
I was cleaning out our shop last year and found a rotary engine tuned to about 450 hp sitting under old tarp. From the days I did SCTA racing, and that was over 7 years ago. Yes I seem to have lost an engine or two. bummer it was rusted froze

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom