Engine oil: what type should I use?

Engine oil: what type should I use?
Truthfully with your usage you wouldn't be able to tell the difference with any of the above options. If you use racing oil you'll need to change it more often since they typically have fewer detergents. Zddp has largely been replaced by some other types of additives but the spring pressures and lobes on a stock AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l aren't what you see on many other older engines.

I use diesel oil in all my stuff made before 2007. Rotella has a cult following but any brand (e.g. Walmart house brand) with an API CJ4 will work great and allow you to extend change intervals a little bit. The non synthetics are 15W-40, so just let the jeep warm up some in cold weather before putting it under load or revving it.

Thanks for oil info. My CJ5 has 16,000 original miles and I drive it about 2,000 -3,000 miles per year.
Change the engine oil and filter twice a year - air filter once a year. She sites in a heated garage.

I run Valvoline high mileage 5W-30 in my straight 6. I live in an area that gets ball frosting in the winter though with consistent single digit highs in January and February.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Lucas Magnum 15w40 with 1qt Lucas Oil Stabilizer. All the zinc you’ll ever need. I change every year or 7500 miles.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom