Engine Weight I4 vs V6 vs V8

Engine Weight I4 vs V6 vs V8

Razorfish

Jeeper
Thanks
Hi. I've always been from the lighter-and reliable school vs the tank with crazy HP. I'm able to find all sorts of specs on these engines but one that seems to be hard to find is the weight. I'm mainly interested if there is a significant difference between a typical, stock, carb I4 and V6. Also the V8 if that info is available. We can also assume the more powerful the engine the bigger and heavier the Transmission and diff will be too but for this question I'm just wondering about the engines. Thanks

Hi. I've always been from the lighter-and reliable school vs the tank with crazy HP. I'm able to find all sorts of specs on these engines but one that seems to be hard to find is the weight. I'm mainly interested if there is a significant difference between a typical, stock, carb I4 and V6. Also the V8 if that info is available. We can also assume the more powerful the engine the bigger and heavier the Transmission and diff will be too but for this question I'm just wondering about the engines. Thanks

way too broad some of the newer generation alloy v8's are less than an iron I6 some old iron V8 weigh almost as much as a small jeep just too many variables to generalize

best bet search on google for the particular engine your interested and I am sure you will find weights to compare

•2.5L I4, 340 lbs.
•4.0L I6, 515 lbs.
•Chevy 4.3L V6, 425 lbs.
•Chevy Small Block V8 (Gen. I & II), 550 lbs.
•GM Gen. III+ V8 (iron blocks), 470 lbs.
•GM Gen. III+ V8 (aluminum blocks), 407 lbs.
•Buick 90 degree V6, 375 lbs

•2.5L I4, 340 lbs.
•4.0L I6, 515 lbs.
•Chevy 4.3L V6, 425 lbs.

Are all of these are with the head(s)?

I also am a big fan of keeping it light.

•2.5L I4, 340 lbs.
•4.0L I6, 515 lbs.
•Chevy 4.3L V6, 425 lbs.

Do you happen to know the year ranges that correspond with the Chevy gen's? Thanks!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom