Exhaust manifold on 4.0 head?

Exhaust manifold on 4.0 head?

Sasquach

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ5, 258 w/4.0head, Mopar MPI, P.S., P.B.,Tilt wheel, No stereo, t-18, t-20, amc 20, dana-30 w/tru-trac, Warn full float w/locking hubs & Detroit locker in the AMC.
1964 CJ3B, 4-134
1952 M100 trailer
Putting together my material list for my 4.0 head upgrade and wondering what's the best way to go on the exhaust manifold?, Probably going with a new head possibly Alabama or the Hesco with the Mopar MPI system. Will any header for the 4.0 in a Wrangler fit in the CJ? Looks like a little diff. angle on the outlet.
Anyone with comments on what they have used would be appreciated.

I used a stainless steel header that I found on E bay. It is a crummy header as far as exhaust gas transfer goes I don't think any of the tubes are the same length but the object for me was more a case of putting an exhaust manifold on that would not crack with the thermal expansion like the stock 4.0 manifold does. So far so good.:cool:
Another thing for your list, new push rods, the 4.0 are a about .00x longer or shorter, I don't remember which but there is some way that using the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l push rods will cause damage to the cam? I am sorry I have slept too many times since doing this to be specific.

Putting together my material list for my 4.0 head upgrade and wondering what's the best way to go on the exhaust manifold?, Probably going with a new head possibly Alabama or the Hesco with the Mopar MPI system. Will any header for the 4.0 in a Wrangler fit in the CJ? Looks like a little diff. angle on the outlet.
Anyone with comments on what they have used would be appreciated.

I used a stainless steel header that I found on E bay. It is a crummy header as far as exhaust gas transfer goes I don't think any of the tubes are the same length but the object for me was more a case of putting an exhaust manifold on that would not crack with the thermal expansion like the stock 4.0 manifold does. So far so good.:cool:
Another thing for your list, new push rods, the 4.0 are a about .00x longer or shorter, I don't remember which but there is some way that using the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l push rods will cause damage to the cam? I am sorry I have slept too many times since doing this to be specific.

It seems there are a number of stainless units out there and the factory as well, It apparantly is prone to cracking though. Not looking so much for race car equal length tuning as just good quality with fit and durability.
Thanks for the pushrod info, I do remember now reading that somewhere but I am finding myself prone to the sleep-forget thing Too.

Thanks for the pushrod info, I do remember now reading that somewhere but I am finding myself prone to the sleep-forget thing Too.

I hate having CRS, but it can be a good thing sometimes, right?
We all have things we don't want to remember, but right now I don't remember what they were.:D

You might try looking here CJOffroad.com - For CJ Owners by CJ Owners! they have a lot of 4.0 swap info.

Thanks Old Dog, have'nt had a chance to read yet but all info is appreciated.
My plan is to figure out exactly what I want and start acumulating the parts and pieces then do the install next winter in the off season, a little too close to summer for me to dig this deep into things and possibly not be ready for our first trip.:)

I hate having CRS, but it can be a good thing sometimes, right?
We all have things we don't want to remember, but right now I don't remember what they were.:D

A buddies father in law was always angry about something and no fun to be around then he got a bad case of "it" now everyone likes him cuse he can't remember why he was so mad. :chug:

Have you checked locally for a 4.0 head?? I know I can but a 4.0 head for about $250. I know, not every place is Dallas but maybe a local machine shop? Have you considered the JB Weld process where you just fill the extra water jacket holes with epoxy? I did not do it that way but as I think of it there is no reason that would not work quite well. You could get out of this for less than $500 and more that likely with the 3 angle and gasket.
Remember; There are no shortages of places to spend money on a CJ. don't spend it if you don't have to and you get to spend it on something else.

It seems there are a number of stainless units out there and the factory as well, It apparantly is prone to cracking though. Not looking so much for race car equal length tuning as just good quality with fit and durability.

I can't think of anything important enough to me that I am going to be upset with my self for forgetting it.;)

A buddies father in law was always angry about something and no fun to be around then he got a bad case of "it" now everyone likes him cuse he can't remember why he was so mad. :chug:

Have you checked locally for a 4.0 head?? I know I can but a 4.0 head for about $250. I know, not every place is Dallas but maybe a local machine shop? Have you considered the JB Weld process where you just fill the extra water jacket holes with epoxy? I did not do it that way but as I think of it there is no reason that would not work quite well. You could get out of this for less than $500 and more that likely with the 3 angle and gasket.
Remember; There are no shortages of places to spend money on a CJ. don't spend it if you don't have to and you get to spend it on something else.

Junk yards are out for me, 2 within an hours drive and last trip out found zero Jeeps of any model at either.
My other reasoning is the machining on my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l head cost me $470 at our local shop. The JB process would be used if I went with the Alabama head, they are around $570? for new head/ valves/springs no water jacket work. The Hesco is $1150 with welded jackets ready to install.
I think I will just use my keypad and mouse and let the brown santa(UPS) bring me the goodies! I know it may not seem the most economical but I am too deep now to turn around!;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom