Fix Them Holes

Fix Them Holes
Speaking of Bondo....I had a conversation with someone yesterday who told me I could fix that hole and crack in my tub with Bondo. Just get rid of the rust, clean them up, put some sort of backer underneath temporarily (e.g.., layers of tape), and then fill them up with the Bondo. Is this even possible!!?? :confused:

Not no but hell no!

Bondo absorbs water and will create a hell of a rust problem later.
Clean up the rust and lay down something like por15 and it'll hold till your
ready to do the repairs. If your worried about wind or water coming in
thru the pin or small holes, after your coat of por15 is dry squirt in a little silicone
to temp fill the holes. Then when your ready to do the repairs you pull out the
silicon, grind off the por15 and weld up your repairs.

For larger holes after the coat of por 15 you can use that metal muffler tape to
cover the hole and even lay down a little por15 over that as a temp patch until repairs can be made.

Not no but hell no!

Bondo absorbs water and will create a hell of a rust problem later.
Clean up the rust and lay down something like por15 and it'll hold till your
ready to do the repairs. If your worried about wind or water coming in
thru the pin or small holes, after your coat of por15 is dry squirt in a little silicone
to temp fill the holes. Then when your ready to do the repairs you pull out the
silicon, grind off the por15 and weld up your repairs.

For larger holes after the coat of por 15 you can use that metal muffler tape to
cover the hole and even lay down a little por15 over that as a temp patch until repairs can be made.

That makes sense to me. The Bondo would have to be coated with something (i.e., paint) on both sides to prevent a moisture problem.

Forgive my ignorance...what is por15??

It's a really tough rust preventative paint.
Just google it and you'll be bomb out with info.

I was a little harsh but I can't begin to tell you how
much bondo I've beat out of rusty POS.

It's a really tough rust preventative paint.
Just google it and you'll be bomb out with info.

I was a little harsh but I can't begin to tell you how
much bondo I've beat out of rusty POS.
or how many muffler tape repairs that guys thought were permanent

As I specified used as a temp patch until repairs can be made.
But yeah have found them also.

my favorite post about POs was the one who used road signs
I once bought a 57 Belaire with a cookie tray welded in the floor, thought that was sweet
I really do not like temp fixes as they seem to end up as out of sight out of mind repairs.

I know what you mean but sometimes, cost dicates necessity.
I prefer to fix it the right way the first time.

so do I, and this is a repair that should not be put off, instead save a week or two to get it done right before the next project

Unfortunately, as I have been monkeying around with my CJ today, I have found several more repairs that the PO made inside the tub. Looks like they used fiberglass(???) and then painted it black. Never noticed it before I bought it!! :mad:

On the plus side, these fiberglass patches seem to be really strong...at least for the moment....

Now what!!!??

Unfortunately, as I have been monkeying around with my CJ today, I have found several more repairs that the PO made inside the tub. Looks like they used fiberglass(???) and then painted it black. Never noticed it before I bought it!! :mad:

On the plus side, these fiberglass patches seem to be really strong...at least for the moment....

Now what!!!??
Now is time to do it right. seems you bought someones project gone wrong, or the best he could do.
the correct way, get a welder or a friend with a welder, and get the correct panels if replacing or get to removing the old and rewelding correctly. remember body welding is a trick of it's own and not fast, you can warp the panels with to much heat.
A bit of advice
Owning a pristene CJ is not easy, nor cheap. You can do it correct, or do it like the PO and off it on someone. A pristine CJ is a thing to be fiercely proud of. You now need to make a decision, correct or hacked. It is up to you, correct means paying someone or doing long hours on and under that rig getting things correct. I sub out axle work and do all else myself. When I pill up with one of my Old paint and primer jeeps, you look at it like it is a pile, but soon you see the body is 100% and the mechanics are 100%. I love wheeling those show TJs and JKs into the dirt. I cannot stress how important doing it correct the first time is, Most of the rebuilt CJs I see have temp patches in their body, or need a new this or that and have a great paint job. They break down on trail a lot, then there are the guys with everything correct that do trails all the way, I am the guy who just does not care to paint his rig as I get an obscene pleasure out of driving what looks like a bomb, that can pass you ontrail. My 67 has rebuilt axles front and rear, just rebuilt the tranny, about to do the tcase, body is sound but needs a new hood, I am making custom bumpers for, have replaced the obsolescent clutch system. am slowly redoing the interior and work on the thing most weekends so that this spring when I bring it out, I will be feircely proud of the beast.
Make your decision on how much you want to be proud of that rig. Thar body work is just one of 100 projects you will find over the next few years and it will never end, but you will have a reflection of yourself i it.

Last edited:
Bajaedition- That is the second time on this site that someone has mensioned ARC welding with car batteries. Can you go into more detail? It seems like it could be a last ditch effort to weld something on the trail, if last resort. I'm assuming you just run a ground clamp to the neg Bat terminal and object being welded, a positive lead to the bat positive, and a stick on the other positive? Can it cause damage to your battery doing that?

:confused:

Last edited:
Bajaedition- That is the second time on this site that someone has mensioned ARC welding with car batteries. Can you go into more detail? It seems like it could be a last ditch effort to weld something on the trail, if last resort. I'm assuming you just run a ground clamp to the neg Bat terminal and object being welded, a positive lead to the bat positive, and a stick on the other positive? Can it cause damage to your battery doing that?

You usually need more than one battery, but any whoo here ya go:
Minute Mod: Trail Welder - ORN

well, first you try to use 2 batteries, both full charged. Take them out of the jeeps and put side by side. you need to make a short (12 or so inches) cable to clamp between the postive of one battery and negative of the other, use number 4 wire or better please. then you get a heavy set of battery cables, pull out the rods you keep in a protected padded cylinder, and using the 2 batteries clamps on the unused terminals go to welding, you have about enough time for 2 good passes and then being able to start the vehicles up. You are welding at 24 volts and whatever the cranking amps are.

Now is time to do it right. seems you bought someones project gone wrong, or the best he could do.
the correct way, get a welder or a friend with a welder, and get the correct panels if replacing or get to removing the old and rewelding correctly. remember body welding is a trick of it's own and not fast, you can warp the panels with to much heat.
A bit of advice
Owning a pristene CJ is not easy, nor cheap. You can do it correct, or do it like the PO and off it on someone. A pristine CJ is a thing to be fiercely proud of. You now need to make a decision, correct or hacked. It is up to you, correct means paying someone or doing long hours on and under that rig getting things correct. I sub out axle work and do all else myself. When I pill up with one of my Old paint and primer jeeps, you look at it like it is a pile, but soon you see the body is 100% and the mechanics are 100%. I love wheeling those show TJs and JKs into the dirt. I cannot stress how important doing it correct the first time is, Most of the rebuilt CJs I see have temp patches in their body, or need a new this or that and have a great paint job. They break down on trail a lot, then there are the guys with everything correct that do trails all the way, I am the guy who just does not care to paint his rig as I get an obscene pleasure out of driving what looks like a bomb, that can pass you ontrail. My 67 has rebuilt axles front and rear, just rebuilt the tranny, about to do the tcase, body is sound but needs a new hood, I am making custom bumpers for, have replaced the obsolescent clutch system. am slowly redoing the interior and work on the thing most weekends so that this spring when I bring it out, I will be feircely proud of the beast.
Make your decision on how much you want to be proud of that rig. Thar body work is just one of 100 projects you will find over the next few years and it will never end, but you will have a reflection of yourself i it.

Terrific description of exactly what I hope to do with this project! I want it to be the best Jeep I can make it, though what's "best" will change over time as my skills improve.

The skill level of the folks on this forum is just fantastic!!

Going back to the initial question...What is the best, inexpensive welding set-up that a newbie like me can practice with to make basic body repairs...structually sound, if not cometically perfect...in a simple (no fancy equipment) garage??

You can get a used 110 mig setup fairly cheap- easy to learn and use- innershield wire is structurally fine, just not pretty, which is ok when you will be grinding welds on bodywork anyhow. Stick with Lincoln or Miller, a quality machine is worth it. With the proper prep work you can weld just about anything you need to on your tub, and when practiced enough step up to the 220 and gas and you will be ready to tackle anything your jeep throws at you.

Bush

Terrific description of exactly what I hope to do with this project! I want it to be the best Jeep I can make it, though what's "best" will change over time as my skills improve.

The skill level of the folks on this forum is just fantastic!!

Going back to the initial question...What is the best, inexpensive welding set-up that a newbie like me can practice with to make basic body repairs...structually sound, if not cometically perfect...in a simple (no fancy equipment) garage??
go to the shop equipment and tools forum and search back, there are 4 threads about welding I wrote with info for beginners including the cheapest way to get started

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom