Floppin' Doors

Floppin' Doors

KenB

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 CJ7, 258 I6, D30, D300, D20, TF6 Auto, 95 YJ Rio Grande, 2.5L, AX5, 02 Dodge 2500 Diesel, 09 Prius (hers)
When I got this CJ7 , it had a new Bestop Supertop already installed. Problem is, the angle on the front edge of the upper half of the door doesn't match the angle of the windshield. Flush at the bottom but almost a half inch gap at the top. The windshield is as far back as it will go. Tried dropping the front pin of the upper door as low as it would go and raising the rear pin, securing with a set collar, but can't completely close that gap. At any speed above about 45, with the windows zipped shut, the top of the door flaps like a rag on a clothesline. I can put up with the noise, but I don't like to get me arse wet when it rains. Any suggestions?

When I got this CJ7 , it had a new Bestop Supertop already installed. Problem is, the angle on the front edge of the upper half of the door doesn't match the angle of the windshield. Flush at the bottom but almost a half inch gap at the top. The windshield is as far back as it will go. Tried dropping the front pin of the upper door as low as it would go and raising the rear pin, securing with a set collar, but can't completely close that gap. At any speed above about 45, with the windows zipped shut, the top of the door flaps like a rag on a clothesline. I can put up with the noise, but I don't like to get me arse wet when it rains. Any suggestions?

Have you tried adjusting the body hinges?

Thanks for the reminder "when all else fails, read the instructions"

Adjusting the hinge closed the gap (have to adjust the door strikes some). That reduced the flopping, but didn't cure it. Bent the top half of doors inward just a bit to put more pressure against the top edge, and that helped a little bit more. There were some deflectors mounted on the edge of the windshield frame. Pulled the one off on the drivers side, and made a big difference. I'm guessing it was creating a low-pressure area and sucking the door top away from the body.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom