FLywheel resurface-Do I have to?

FLywheel resurface-Do I have to?

jamesweed

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'85 cj-7, 258, T-5, dana 300, stock diffs; 1967 Chevy Nova 2d HT
In the process of dropping Transmission I figured I would put a new clutch in while I'm in there. The clutch was OK just getting high on time. The Surface of the Flywheel seems pretty smooth, no grooves cut in as the clutch never got all the way down to the rivet heads. So Im debating as to if Im gonna machine the flywheel. Is it standard practice to machine it no matter what or a case by case call? What do you all think?

Thanks, JAMES

I would, in fact I would put a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and resurface the flywheel. The reason it's smooth is because your clutch has polished it to a glaze. You want to remove that glaze.

I agree, while you are there replace what you can now. Might save you from taking it apart again down the road after a short time.

Mine was similar so I hit it with AMC 150 grit sandpaper on an orbital sander. I had a friend refer to it as 'buttery smooth' the other day.

I would suggest that you go ahead with the resurfacing while you have it apart.

I agree with the rest, its a big enough pain in the <-BAD WORD-> to pull the tranny for any reason, it makes it worth a $AMC 150 clutch and flywheel change while you have it out. And always resurface, or swap the flywheel when doing it.

Droooiiddd 2

OK, will go with resurface then. Thanks for all of your inputs.

JAMES

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom