PecosCJ7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7
5 speed
Dana 300
44 Axles rear, 30 up front
Swapped in a ford T-18 and had problem getting into second gear. so, decided to rebuild thinking it may be worn syncros. after being rebuilt it is still difficult to get into 2nd. New clutch kit and clutch linkage installed. All other gears work fine. Stumped on this one. What could be the cause?

Hi

Is it difficult to get into 2nd from a stop? Or is it difficult while downshifting or up shifting from 1st? Did you replace the synchro rings?

The gear synchro teeth may have some burrs. Does the synchro ring cone grab the gear and align the teeth? These are a complex series of small alignment teeth and can be tricky to detect improper wear by looking at them briefly. Also check the slots which allow the ring to float. If these are worn, the synchro teeth may be clocked too far out to be effective.

You may be able to pull the top of the tranny in the jeep and move the synchro selector manually to see what is binding. You can also rotate the mainshaft and carefully examine the teeth all the way around and note any burrs or misalignment.

I hope this helps. I have had some troubles with this also. Downshifting to 2nd gear probably has the most rpm difference to overcome and is the most susceptible to wear. Can you bump the throttle to help bring the rpm up to get the gear to engage?

John

All syncros were replace with rebuild parts from novak. Shifting is difficult at times at a stop and downshifting. Will eventually go into gear after workin shifter and clutch. And their are times when it drops right into gear with no problems.

Hi
Must be frustrating having rebuilt the Transmission and installing it. Just getting the T-18 in and out can be a workout.

I wish I could help more. Obviously something is hanging up. The T-18 has large gears and components, so it generally shifts slow anyway. But you shouldn't have to fight everytime for 2nd gear.

Can you determine for certain that the pilot bushing isn't sticking or some other factor that would affect the operation?

It sounds like you may have to pull the Transmission to resolve the issue. Perhaps Novak could impart some wisdom. I would be tempted to pull the top cover and play with the gear selectors to see if I could determine exactly what is occurring.

Best of Luck - John

So we are all clear on this are you putting your Transmission in first gear the trying to shift into 2nd gear? How are you shifting it like a 4 speed going from 1st all the way to 4th?

Just shifting to second in general. From take off and to downshift.

What do you mean? Are you shifting gears like this 1st 2nd 3nd 4th? Or are you shifting like this 2nd 3rd 4th? Like a 3 speed?

on the street. from a stop, usually start off in 2nd(if drops into 2nd) and go from ther to 3rd n 4th. i generally only use 1st offroad.

You got me? If you was shifting from 1st to 2nd I would say that's normal.

PecosCJ7, sometimes I have issues shifting my T-18 into 2nd or reverse also. I double clutch, which means clutch in, shifting into neutral then letting out the clutch, pushing the clutch back in, then shifting into gear. That helps me out.

PecosCJ7, sometimes I have issues shifting my T-18 into 2nd or reverse also. I double clutch, which means clutch in, shifting into neutral then letting out the clutch, pushing the clutch back in, then shifting into gear. That helps me out.

The 1st gear and reverse are a sliding straight cut gear with no synchro so I too have to double clutch sometimes to get these lined up. But it sounds like our friend is having abnormal difficulty with 2nd gear binding. It's tough to judge from the description. Maybe 2nd gear is just a bit sticky with a new synchro ring and will wear in with time. John

All syncros were replace with rebuild parts from novak. Shifting is difficult at times at a stop and downshifting. Will eventually go into gear after workin shifter and clutch. And their are times when it drops right into gear with no problems.

:)Pecos:
Lets face it folks a Bork Warner T-18 is a Heavy Duty "Truck Transmission " within it's class........Period.
Anyone thinking that it should shift like a Light Duty passenger car or truck Transmission will be disappointed..........It does requires some finesse and time getting use to it.
If you can .......always try to get it into 2nd while your still slowing rolling before a stop, by simply sliding it into neutral & apply light pressure on the shifter to the gate for 2nd gear while slightly bringing up the motor RPM's , normally it will fall right in.
In essence your just matching the Transmission speed with the clutch pack speed to engage the gears..........
In some instances I have seen worn shifter gate rails , shifter forks, de-tent springs & balls in the cover cause similar problems as all gears need to be in there proper position prior to shifting.
Type or weight of oil will also cause hard shifting.............
Syncro's are designed to slow the gear down to be able to engage..........if you replaced them they should be doing there job.

Try driving it some more and I think you'll find its "sweet spot" for getting it into gear.
:D:D:D:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom