found a cheap Lockright

found a cheap Lockright

elwood blues

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Media
Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 4.2L Comp Cam & valve train, MC2100 carb, MSD ignition, Dana 30 front, T18 trans, Dana 20 txfr, AMC 20 rear.
Digging around on another forum I found this in the marketplace;

I recently aquired an axle that was left in a garage my buddy purchased. The axle is a model 20 and has 4:88 gears and a Lockright locker. The gears still have the install paint on them so I would guess this did not get used after being installed. The gears and locker are available.

1. Does anyone run a Lockright? How is it?
2. Is a possibly used Lockright worth $AMC 150 (ish)?
3. I would probably want to upgrade to one piece axles at the same time wouldn't I?

I recently aquired an axle that was left in a garage my buddy purchased. The axle is a model 20 and has 4:88 gears and a Lockright locker. The gears still have the install paint on them so I would guess this did not get used after being installed. The gears and locker are available.

3. I would probably want to upgrade to one piece axles at the same time wouldn't I?

I bought a Jeep with a "Lockright" IMHO it worked great.
I think the price was right.
I would definitely do a one piece upgrade, pay now or blow up soon!:eek:

I have one albiet mine is in the front axle. I grenaded my carrier and gears so when I got it fixed I had a Lockrite thrown in. As far as it working off road I love it. One small drawback was my turning radius isnt quite as tight. I wouldnt recomend one for the front axle of a daily driver. Snow makes it wanna swap ends .

I had one in the rear of an old CJ7 also. It was worn ( Im guessing ) and would give a slight jerk in tighter corners. Nothing major , just something I had to get used to. Id go with one piece axles with any locker in the AMC20 along with welding the tubes at that time. If I remember correctly some one piece axles wont work with a lock rite due to a different spline count.

Again its going to count on the condition of the lockrite itself. There are some small springs in there that can wear ,and the ratcheting "gears" could be worn depending on how much the Jeep it was in was driven. An Aussie locker is only about $120 more brand new. I think its worth the extra $$ to know what you have.

Aussie Lockers: Lockers, aussie lockers, torq-masters technology, automatic positive locking differentials, automatic precision locker differentials, off road, off-road

I bought my first locker (a used lockright) for $125.
Installed it in the rear of the CJ4 times in 3 days...never could get it to work right. found out later that it was probably worn out when I bought it, but I didn't know what to look for at the time. Ended up throwing it in the scrap pile.
I will never buy another used one from anyone. Not worth my time to deal with it if it doesn't work...

I have one now, and love it.
I have had them in the past, and loved them.
I have had them new, and used, and loved them equally as well.

Unless It's torn up, $AMC 150 bucks is a good enough deal.

Yes, one piece axles are recommended.

I know lockrites work well as a locker, being a lunchbox style locker they also do not require a lot of setup work as most times the gears do not have to be pulled and remain setup properly. Now on how to tell if that locker is any good? I can not tell you that. Just look it over good and see if it has any wear on it, after all the setup could be great, and also if they are already set up in the axle, how much for the entire unit?
Why does the guy want to separate the unit?
A new unit is around $280 without the gears so I can see the appeal.

Thanks you guys. I don't know if I'll even contact the guy about it, but it caught my eye and I thought I'd ask about it. cafine.png

I am not trying to discourage you, just bringing up questions that need to be looked at

You didn't discourage me Baja. There are a lot of other reasons I don't think I'm going to do this right now.

I had the Lock Right in my CJ7 and loved the heck out of it it was so easy to install.......get 1 peice axles best investment you can make. you cant drive very far when your hub strips out:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom