Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 Jeep Cj5 Renegade
I258 1987 Engine
Aisin Warner Ax15 Transmission
Dana 300 Transfer Case
I have a 1980 CJ5 4x4 with a fiberglass body. I was wondering what different year frames would work as the frame is rotten. If someone could tell me what the year span is I would greatly appreciate it.

Any CJ5 from '76 to '83 uses the same body and frame

Edit: I found this frame that is for CJ5 . Not that you want to spend $1800, it's just that it says it's only for 1980 to 1982. It makes me wonder why it wont fit earlier years.
p40463c.jpg

http://www.quadratec.com/products/5...utm_medium=compshop&utm_source=googlemerchant

Last edited:
How hard would it be to make a 70 frame fit a 80 body? What would be involved?

How hard would it be to make a 70 frame fit a 80 body? What would be involved?
If you are talking about your cj, pretty difficult... The 70 frame was for a short nosed CJ5 and you have a later CJ5 - you would have to lengthen the frame and relocate the body mounts.

Any CJ5 from '76 to '83 uses the same body and frame

Edit: I found this frame that is for CJ5 . Not that you want to spend $1800, it's just that it says it's only for 1980 to 1982. It makes me wonder why it wont fit earlier years.
p40463c.jpg

Throttle Down Kustoms CJ5 8083 - Mandrel-Bent Steel Frame for 80-83 Jeep® CJ-5 - Quadratec

Hmm.I dont know but if you look at all their frame listings their years are all screwed up.Cj5s were made until '83 so why does the above one end at '82?They show different frames for wide track vs narrow track cj7s but all cj5s were narrow so???For that matter I cant think of anything different between wide track or narrow CJ7 frames.They list a '71-'75 frame but a '71 was still the shortnose,it should be '72-'75.They show a crossmember in the illustration and cjs switched to the Dana 300 Transfer Case and other transmissions in '80....I dont recall if that matters as far as crossmember mounting holes buts its all I can think of.:confused:

I know on the newer CJ7 frames they changed the shock mounts. We swapped an 86 frame into a 78 CJ7 . I second what dave said anything from a 76-83 CJ5 will work with your CJ5 .

Somthing I forgot that is probably the differance in frame years is the Transmission skid plates changed with different model trannys. Very easy fix though.

I went with an aftermarket frame about 11 years ago and you can call the manufacturer and have them build it the way you want. I got the shackle reverse and set up fro YJ springs.

i needed a frame for my ct salted road CJ7 .did a search and found a&w wreckers in antelope valley ca.they are a jeep yard cost me 700.00 incl. shipped truck freight to hartford ct'very happy frame had zero rust in or out .reputable people sent me pics etc.also got rust free shock towers superb.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom