Front Hubs & Towing

Front Hubs & Towing
If you do, in fact, have full floating axles in the 20 that is about as good as it gets and the axle shafts will be unique to the full float. Do you have Warn hubs on the rear axle?:confused:

sure do... i want to put pics on here...how?

Last edited:
ok interesting thread....i have an AMC20 with full floating axles. is this truly a stronger setup? also, does this require 1 piece axles? i bought the jeep with this setup and have been considering inspecting the insides soon to find out if its one piece axles or the POS 2.... want to make the jump from 33s to 35s so wanna upgrade the 20, if i cant pick up a 44 for cheap!!

No need to inspect the insides, what does the outer hub look like?
Do you have the removable cup covering the axle nut? or is it flat? or locking hubs like IOPort asked?

sure do... i want to put pics on here...how?

Scroll down frrom the reply to thread box and you will see "additional options" use the attach files box.

here's a few pics of the warn lockout hubs in the rear...

notice the set screw in the knob to keep from accidental engage?disengagement. slightly different from the front lockouts

Will the AMC20 handle 35" or better tires?
derekcj5, I just sent you a PM

Yes the AMC20 can handle 35" inch tires or bigger IF the 2 piece axle is replaced with a 1 piece or full floating axle. The AMC20 has a bad reputation as a week axle but that's mainly because of the 2 piece axle shaft. The next weakest part is the axle tubes and where they go into the differential. It's not bad but if you do some heavy duty rock crawling you might want to weld on some axle braces. The differential itself is big and strong. The ring gear is just under 9 inches. You shouldn't have problems there.

The set screw helps keep your jealous buddies from unlocking your rear on the trail. I keep the allen wrench on a small chain in the glove box.

The lockouts go to the internal style which I like much better.

get a set of what were called hub fuses for them, you may have to look around for such, what they are is a cogged thinggy that fits inside of the warn hub making them engaged all the time, much stronger than the warn hub. The warn hub is great till you have to push the axle hard, then it is a weak point, with the fuses in that is not an issue, And they are easy to install and pull out, just those 6 screws you see in the warn hub.
now run a bead around where your tubs meet your pumpkin, both sides, and you have a great axle, wider ring gear than a Dana 44 .

Yes the AMC20 can handle 35" inch tires or bigger IF the 2 piece axle is replaced with a 1 piece or full floating axle. The AMC20 has a bad reputation as a week axle but that's mainly because of the 2 piece axle shaft. The next weakest part is the axle tubes and where they go into the differential. It's not bad but if you do some heavy duty rock crawling you might want to weld on some axle braces. The differential itself is big and strong. The ring gear is just under 9 inches. You shouldn't have problems there.

Don't forget the weak wheel bearings & axle seals.;)

how would you go about getting these mystical "fuses" everyone speaks so highly about if, in fact, warn did sell the rights of the product to randys ring and pinion (who doesn't make the damn things) and nobody sells them?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom