Fuel filter change

Fuel filter change

xena1

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ with 360
I am looking at changing the fuel filter on my 360 from a 3 line (one back to tank) to a conventional glass type (no return line). Are there any issues with blocking off the return line? Tank appears to be vented through canister and vacuum line hookup. Thanks for the help.

OKi I went with the stock filter with return line and then put a second filter in before the Edelbrock carb. i put a 5/16 fitting on the filter side and a 3/8 fitting on the carb side of the glass filter. Worked fine !

Sorry we didn't get back to you sooner.
It's good that you stuck with the OEM filter that has 3 fittings. The OEM pump pumps more gas than the engine can use unless you are at full throttle. The return line lets the extra gas get back to the tank.

So what happens to the excess fuel if you don't have a return line? Where does it go?

I've got an in-line filter without the return fitting. My tank is under the driver's seat and doesn't have a fuel fitting on the sending unit. Could I route the return line back to a T-fitting in the fuel line before the filter?

I've got an in-line filter without the return fitting.
Your jeep never had a return. I'd leave it as it. Some pumps can be stopped by the float valve in the carb. If you leave it as stock you should be good. When you start changing things it effects other things.
When people swap in an electric pump they sometimes get a high performance pump. Some of these pumps put out more pressure that the float valve can handle. Then they need a fuel regulator. Electric pumps don't need a return line. You just have to make sure the pump doesn't overpower the float valve.

Im going to offer an alternative outlook on this, the return on the jeep is not so much to keep pressure off the needle valve in the carb, as it is to prevent vapor lock in the fuel line.

By continually moving fuel in a loop, you make it very difficult to cause vapor lock, but if you have a stacked fuel supply with no return/loop, its much easier to vaporize the fuel in the line.

Im of the opinion you can close off the return, with no ill affects on any needle valves, the only down side, is in very hot weather, and at close to an idle (as in little vehicle movement), you might be able to develop vapor lock.

If you want to remove the use of the return line to run a glass fuel filter, just measure the fuel pressure the pump is making. Its probably under 5 psi.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom