Fuel problems

Fuel problems

CJTonka

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7 w/ hardtop and doors, 258 cid, Weber K551, 4" Black Diamond suspension lift kit and shocks, 33 x 14.5 Mickey Thompson A/T
Just dropped a rebuilt AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l into my 84 CJ7 . Unfortunately, I'm running a defective Carter 2 bbl with no wiring for the computer, so it doesn't idle well after it warms up. I plan to replace it with a Weber K551 soon.

My problem is whenever I accelerate fast, I experience a situation where the fuel flow gets cut off to the carb and it takes awhile before I can get it started again. I had a similar similar experience several years ago where i was told the 'sock' from the fuel sending unit eventually gets old and would collapse from the vacuum and choke off the gas feed. I had the fuel sending unit replaced back then, but I'm thinking it's doing the same thing again. Is anyone else familiar with this issue? is there an aftermarket piece to replace the 'sock' to keep it from happening again. Or could it be a different problem related to my Carter 2 bbl with no computer?

Thanks for your help.

whenever I accelerate fast, I experience a situation where the fuel flow gets cut off to the carb and it takes awhile before I can get it started again.

Sounds like the fuel pump can't pump enough gas. Possibly because of a clogged fuel filter.

Thanks, Busa. The fuel filter was the first thing I replaced, but the problem still persists.

"the sock' is a fuel filter too. I don't see it collapsing but it is a very fine screen and if there is any junk in the tank it will stop it and will, of course clog. When the last one was replaced was the tank drained and cleaned?? Is there any source of rust/dirt to the tank??:cool:

Could it be when the engine warms up it gets vapor lock?

^^^ that is a very good point.

IO, they actually replaced the tank when the replaced the sending unit. But considering that my CJ sat o blocks in the backyard for almost three years, it would make sense the there's probably bad gas in the tank that's clogging up the filter. Thanks for your insight to my oversight. :mad:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom