alabamaboy54

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 cj-7.
258 I6
T-176 w/ D300
D30/AMC20
Hey guys, I am looking at an old scrap jeep that I can pick up to help build my current jeep. I am mainly interested in it for the full size axles that are under it. They are a full float dana 60 in the rear and a Dana 44 up front with an aussie locker. I am looking to run somewhere in the 35-37 in tire range and just wanted to check on here for advice or warnings before I dive in. I know it will require outboarding springs and such, I am mainly looking for opinions on whether or not that is a good axle setup for the tires Im looking to run. Thanks in advance. And by the way I plan on doing moderate offroading with minimal street driving as well

We put a scout 44 under a friends 7 with a mild small block and 35" baja claws axle runs 5:13 gears but it is open so one axle doesn't get all the power. It seems to be living under there ok .. But he is VERY easy on the throttle and I I'm not sure 37"s would be a good idea. But I'm often accused of over building. Soooooo .

Thanks, my current axles just have to go. And i would like to add some strength and durability along the way. I plan on keeping my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and wont be too heavy on the throttle myself as the people that I ride with tend to keep toward the tread lightly theme.

IMO the 44 is kinda light for 37's as I've seen a few broken aftermarket
axles with both 4 and 6 bangers.
On the other hand with 35's the 60 is going to hang mighty low
if you play in the rocks at all.
It all depends on how and where you play.

I was looking to upgrade the 44 to chromoly shafts if I went this direction, in this case would you still consider it a little too weak for the 36-37's? and I plan on getting into rocks a little bit but nothing extreme by any matter

I was looking to upgrade the 44 to chromoly shafts if I went this direction, in this case would you still consider it a little too weak for the 36-37's? and I plan on getting into rocks a little bit but nothing extreme by any matter

Yea when I said aftermarket shafts I ment chromoly.
I really don't consider what we do extreme but I guess it's all a matter of what you think extreme is. We wheel in Ky. mostly and do alot of rock crawling.
See my photo gallery for an idea of what we do.

Yea when I said aftermarket shafts I ment chromoly.
I really don't consider what we do extreme but I guess it's all a matter of what you think extreme is. We wheel in Ky. mostly and do alot of rock crawling.
See my photo gallery for an idea of what we do.

Ahh, i missed the word "Aftermarket" in the previous post. But thanks for the input, I will have to take that into consideration and do a little more homework and thinking on what exactly I expect to do

I guess I've been kinda negative so let me say I wouldn't turn the axles down if the price is right. I've also seen 44's live a long happy life with 35's and 36's. The driver has a lot to do with it. :D

FYI: the rear D60 shafts is the same size as the front 44 shafts.

FYI: the rear D60 shafts is the same size as the front 44 shafts.
He's right it might be a 30 spline rear but if it is you can make it a 35 spline.
If you have the money you can also up-grade the 44 to the bigger spline axles.

Thanks guys. I decided to bite the bullet and go for it so I just have to go pick the jeep up tomorrow. Im not sure what spline the axles are but i guess I will be finding out soon. How intensive is it to upgrade to higher spline axles?

Thanks guys. I decided to bite the bullet and go for it so I just have to go pick the jeep up tomorrow. Im not sure what spline the axles are but i guess I will be finding out soon. How intensive is it to upgrade to higher spline axles?
You can get larger spline 44 axles if you get a locker to match it, but ARB is one of the few to make one. So $1500 or so. IMO I don't think it's worth it though as you still have the same size u-joint and stub shaft which is where I see most of them brake.
Can't tell you much on the 60 other than a new carrier for sure and probably new (bigger) axles bearings.

Ok so I think I will just stick with whats in there for now because I definitely cant justify the extra 1500 right now (or any time in the near future) especially since its already locked in the front with an aussie. Thanks for all the info guys.

There are different rear 60s out there some have larger spindles (larger O.D.) some have smaller spindles. The smaller spindles measure about 1.8" O.D. and the big spindles measure about 1.95" same size as the 14b.

What you have is a D-60 30 spline, you’ll have to measure the spindles.

Below is my HD 60 30 spine larger spindle, bigger OD spindles extra diff webbing.

DSCN2119.png

If your going 35 spline you’ll need a 9/16 (1.562") drill bit to bore the spindles out to 1.6 to except the 1.5 35 spline shafts. This is why you need the larger 60 OD spindles at 1.95, the smaller 1.8 would only leave about 1/8" material after boring.

There are other alternatives you could find a 70 and cut off the spindles and re-weld them on the 60, or cut the 60 spindles off and have a machine shop bore them out, and re-weld back on.

Edit: side note, very few FF 60's came with 35 splines. Most are under chevy van's and are much wider than the rest of the 60's

Before and after, bored the spindles .22 to except the 1.5 35 spline shafts and shorten the tubes .5 a side.

DSCN2122.jpg

DSCN2575.jpg

DSCN2576.jpg

While your there throw on some K-20 disc brakes

DSCN2590.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have to apologize here guys. I made a very rookie mistake and did not even realize that the jeep I am looking at buying, the one with d60 rear, Dana 44 front full size, has a drivers side front chunk. Upon actually looking at my jeep, I realized that it is a passenger side front chunk. Im kinda embarassed that I am just now noticing this. Im not a jeep expert but this new discovery makes me believe that these axles wont even work after all.

44-60FF driver side drop = 1980 and up J-20
Not a good match

44-60FF driver side drop = 1980 and up J-20
Not a good match

Come to find out they're actually axles out of two separate trucks. Rear is out of some Chevy and and front is out of like a 79 ford he says.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom