Getting worried about my 258

Well some good and mixed news. Head gasket was good, compression and oil pressure were good. Oil sending unit was bad. I took the mechanic the oil sending unit and gauge I had ordered from quadretec, they were having problems tracking one down around here. They are checking the grounds for the fuel gauge as well.
The mixed news is it's still running hotter than it should. But everything checked out good. The mechanic speculated that the airconditioner condenser in front of the radiator could be the culprit, but I doubt that since either the factory or dealer installed it in 83. Seems like it would have been an issue before now. My uncle gave me an article this weekend from a classic car mag(he is a classic car guy) where a guy had restored an early 80's jeep and was having overheating issues. He drilled a hole on the flat part of the thermostat and that solved the issue. He said built up steam was stopping the flow of water through the thermo. If you are still reading:D does that seem like it's worth a shot?

Many thermostats have a small hole or valve in the flat of t-stat. It's not really for steam in a direct sense. It allows water to flow through the system when filling the radiator so air does not get trapped.

See -->> Engine Overheating Causes & Cures

attachment.php

Thats what I was told by my uncle. I clearly do not remember that hole on the thermostat I installed, which was just a direct replacement from autozone.

Like you Im not buying the condensor story. Even though the thermostat is new it wouldnt be the first Made in China part to be faulty. I would take it out and make sure its rated to open at the proper temp. If it is Id take it into the kitchen and drop it in a pot of water on the stove. Then Id heat the water and with the wifes thermometer ( Dont try while shes there :D) see if it opens at the correct temp. Also look for a radiator hose that collapses at temp. That'll cause air pocckets in the radiator. Not likely if they were replaced though.
Well some good and mixed news. Head gasket was good, compression and oil pressure were good. Oil sending unit was bad. I took the mechanic the oil sending unit and gauge I had ordered from quadretec, they were having problems tracking one down around here. They are checking the grounds for the fuel gauge as well.
The mixed news is it's still running hotter than it should. But everything checked out good. The mechanic speculated that the airconditioner condenser in front of the radiator could be the culprit, but I doubt that since either the factory or dealer installed it in 83. Seems like it would have been an issue before now. My uncle gave me an article this weekend from a classic car mag(he is a classic car guy) where a guy had restored an early 80's jeep and was having overheating issues. He drilled a hole on the flat part of the thermostat and that solved the issue. He said built up steam was stopping the flow of water through the thermo. If you are still reading:D does that seem like it's worth a shot?

Hopefully they will get my jeep back to me tomorrow so I can give it a go this weekend. They have had it going on a LONG time. I miss my jeep.

Cant blame you. From what I can see in your Avatar pic it looks like a nice little Cj. Keep us updated.

Like you Im not buying the condensor story. Even though the thermostat is new it wouldnt be the first Made in China part to be faulty. I would take it out and make sure its rated to open at the proper temp. If it is Id take it into the kitchen and drop it in a pot of water on the stove. Then Id heat the water and with the wifes thermometer ( Dont try while shes there :D) see if it opens at the correct temp. Also look for a radiator hose that collapses at temp. That'll cause air pocckets in the radiator. Not likely if they were replaced though.
Maybe I missed this but is your rad new or old, my jeep overheated and I checked everything top to bottom replaced hoses were rotted out, thermo, new pump blew a hole in the casing. What fixed my problem was taking the rad to a shop and having them rod the tubes out and clean it out good. Don't just get it boiled out I did that also and didn't help. The rodding did.:)

Oil sending unit and gauge did the trick. Talked to the shop today and grounds on the fuel tank checked out well, voltage reg was gone so they replaced it with the one I gave them. Looks like a sending unit or gauge on the fuel gauge. I wonder if that failed regulator had anything to do with it.
On a side note, I was in O'reillys today dumping some oil and went ahead and picked up a new thermostat. There has been alot of talk about china made parts so I thought you guys would find in interesting to know that the new thermo was made in Israel. Hope the chosen ones make a better part. Still didn't have a vent hole on it so I will drill it before it goes in. I wanted to do all this work myself, but my wife and I are both accountants and she is working crazy hours. I wouldn't have been able to get any of this done chasing my 8 mos old daughter around. I'm just ready to drive it!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom