Good buy on a T18?

Good buy on a T18?

RazorbackCJ7

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7. Fresh 258 I6 stock T-150 D20 AMC20, 2008 Dodge 2500 Ram 4x4 6.7L Cummins 6 speed auto, 2009 Kawasaki ZX-10R.
Hey guys. I've got a 79 CJ7 with a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6. I'm currently using the stock T-150 3-speed with a Dana 20 . I have found a T-18 4-speed with a Dana 20 for $650. Does this sound like a fair price? I do not know when the last time it was rebuilt.

Sounds good to me. Just make sure it came out of a CJ. If it was in a FC or a FSJ it may have the long input shaft that would need to be replaced.
Look at this picture. This factory adapter between the T-18 and the bellhousing indicates this T-18 has the long input shaft.
stuff.jpg

Thanks for the visual. Seller states it is out of a running 79 CJ5 . I know it didn't come from the factory that year. From what I understand, these are becoming hard to find. Just wanted to know if the price was right even if I had to rebuild it.

Its a sloppy shifting tough as nails tranny and is worth it if you dont want to spend 6 more month looking for another one. Mine is not rebuilt and the same year and it works great. Third is tough to find once in awhile but i never worry about breakage.

From what I understand, these are becoming hard to find. Just wanted to know if the price was right even if I had to rebuild it.
Go for it. Yes they are getting hard to find. I say if you let this one go you'll spend months looking for another. You may have others that say they found a good jeep T-18 for half that price. Just ignore them. If they say that after you buy this one then slap them and then ignore them.

Thought I would give an update. By the time I decided to drop the hammer and buy it, sadly it was sold. I've spent many an hour searching for another one that wasn't $800 or 1000 miles away. Well, yesterday I bought one for $200. Bad thing is, it's got the long input shaft. Mine looks basically the same as the pic above. So, is it a big deal to replace the input shaft? I think I'm just going to have it rebuilt anyway. It's out of a 76 J20.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom