Hard top cap

Hard top cap

thistle3585

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with '72 304 V8, MC2100carb,T150 trans, AMC20 rear diff with locker, Dana 30 front diff, Dana 20 Tr Case, Procomp Springs, Gabriel Ultra shocks.
I bought a Meyers Orville steel hard top yesterday for my 78 CJ5 . I have a couple questions. It came with new side windows and window trim but it wasn't installed. Any suggestions on how to do this? Do I use some sort of sealant between the metal and the rubber or the window and the rubber? I wondered about installing a sliding window. Any thoughts? Also, I'm not sure how it should mount to the windshield. Does it just bolt in to the windshield? Is there a seal that goes on the front lip? Finally, any ideas where to get the hinges that go on the windshield frame?

I have been building this 79 CJ5 with a late 60s meyers super cab for 5 years.

I am in re assembly after paint right now

I will try to get you some close ups of the top when shes all back together but i had to modify my windshield hinges to make it look right

Les

I am using windshield sealant on the top of the windshield frame under the front lip of the hood. Otherwise with a seal (or weatherstrip foam) you WILL HAVE DIMPLES across the top when you screw it together.

Also, it makes sure you are water tight and weather proof !

I appreciate the photos. I ended up trading mine straight for a new soft top. I had mine on for about a month and just didn't like it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom