Not open for further replies.
hardtop glass

elwood blues

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Media
Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 4.2L Comp Cam & valve train, MC2100 carb, MSD ignition, Dana 30 front, T18 trans, Dana 20 txfr, AMC 20 rear.
Anyone know where to buy the side glass for a factory CJ7 hardtop?

Here's the back story... I put my hardtop on today (another long story on to itself) and I noticed just now noticed that the side windows aren't the same. I've owned this top for 3 years, maybe 4, and never noticed this before. When I bought the top I knew that it came with factory tinted glass, but didn't realize until today that the drivers side it brownish gold tint (PPG solarcool M89.6) and the passenger side grey tinted (LOF M95C).

I've spent the last hour searching the internets cafine.png and coming up with little to nothing for either one of these windows. Except that LOF (Libby-Owens-Ford) was bought up by the Pilkington glass company, no help there. And PPG hasn't made glass in a long time, PPG glass is now PGW (Pittsburg Glass Works).

So, anybody got any leads out there, or am I just stuck with two different tinted windows? Thanks.

Do you have a decent auto glass shop by you that might be able to match one or the other?

You know, I never really thought of that, I just really had it in my head that just like everything else it's something that I'd have a terrible time tracking down, I'll dig through the yellow pages tomorrow, hopefully it will be that easy, thanks scruffy_smiley.png

Any luck with your glass search?

No, nothing yet. I've sent several email requests to local glass places but have heard nothing back yet. Work has been from 0500 until 7 pm the last three days... Maybe I'll be able to call tomorrow, or Friday.

Did you ever find the hardtop glass?

I bet a local glass shop can get you a match for one side or the other. I bet it is like that because one side got broken and when the po went to replace it you could no longer get that color so he just got what he could. This happens alot as they get older and the stop making some tints.

I think I have the answer to your 2 different colors. Golden Eagle models had tinted hardtop windows. Heres some for sale and they're in Va. :D

Windows for Jeep

Anyone know where to buy the side glass for a factory CJ7 hardtop?

Here's the back story... I put my hardtop on today (another long story on to itself) and I noticed just now noticed that the side windows aren't the same. I've owned this top for 3 years, maybe 4, and never noticed this before. When I bought the top I knew that it came with factory tinted glass, but didn't realize until today that the drivers side it brownish gold tint (PPG solarcool M89.6) and the passenger side grey tinted (LOF M95C).

I've spent the last hour searching the internets cafine.png and coming up with little to nothing for either one of these windows. Except that LOF (Libby-Owens-Ford) was bought up by the Pilkington glass company, no help there. And PPG hasn't made glass in a long time, PPG glass is now PGW (Pittsburg Glass Works).

So, anybody got any leads out there, or am I just stuck with two different tinted windows? Thanks.

Thanks Pete :chug:

I called about them tonight, offered $AMC 150 for them and they're mine. I'm going to get them Thursday night. Thanks for looking out for me :cool:

Thanks Pete :chug:

I called about them tonight, offered $AMC 150 for them and they're mine. I'm going to get them Thursday night. Thanks for looking out for me :cool:
Great deal!

Thanks Pete!

I went tonight, here's the story, stoner couple buys a house that used to belong to an older couple. The older couple moved out because the neighborhood went to :dung:, so these pierced stoners find these boxes in the attic. She makes some phone calls and finds out what they're for... Anyway, the ad said $200 obo, I offered $AMC 150 and she pounced on it.

These are brand new still in the box with the delivery tag to the AMC/Jeep dealership still on them, the box for the hatch glass is falling apart, but one of the side glass boxes is still sealed...

IMAG0012.png

IMAG0009.png

IMAG0010.png

IMAG0011.png

Petescj, if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, the first round is on me buddy, thank you so much, I would have probably skipped right over that ad :chug:

That is just awesome. Im just glad you posted. I wouldve glazed over that ad and not thought twice about it if I hadnt seen this thread. I cant believe they wwere in the boxes like that.

:chug:

And I cant take all the credit.

polarfire posted them on another site and thats where I saw it

That is just awesome. Im just glad you posted. I wouldve glazed over that ad and not thought twice about it if I hadnt seen this thread. I cant believe they wwere in the boxes like that.

:chug:

And I cant take all the credit.

polarfire posted them on another site and thats where I saw it

Thank you polarfire, sorry that I've never seen you post here. Yeah, I still can't get over the fact that they are brand new still in the box either, those are easily worth twice what I paid for them, thanks again Pete :notworthy:

That is awesome! I'm glad they went to someone who knows what they are and can use them! Great deal! :chug:

Passing it on.......

It's great that we all try to help each other on our quest to make our Jeeps better. It's a shame that all of us on the forums aren't like Polarfire and Petes-CJ8 about helping others in their quest. This world is becoming more of takers than givers which is a shame. There is so much fraud and BS on the Craigslist, EBay and even on the forums that we don't know who to trust and if their intentions are true. Polarfire has helped me in the past finding items to complete my restoaration and even a beautiful J10 Stepside. So hats off to those of you like Polarfire who are still givers that care about others! :chug:

Thanks again from The Jeep Rx!

Re: Passing it on.......

It's great that we all try to help each other on our quest to make our Jeeps better. It's a shame that all of us on the forums aren't like Polarfire and Petes-CJ8 about helping others in their quest. This world is becoming more of takers than givers which is a shame. There is so much fraud and BS on the Craigslist, EBay and even on the forums that we don't know who to trust and if their intentions are true. Polarfire has helped me in the past finding items to complete my restoaration and even a beautiful J10 Stepside. So hats off to those of you like Polarfire who are still givers that care about others! :chug:

Thanks again from The Jeep Rx!
Manchester, are you pissed about the hard top glass?

Yes, I know what goes on behind the scene here at this forum, and most other 4x4 forums. You really need to let this go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom