Help - Carb Intake Exhaust

Help - Carb Intake Exhaust

al2ride

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
76 CJ7, Fiberglass Tub, 78 4.2L, 78 Turbo 400, 82 Dana 300, 77 CJ7 Dana 30 Front Axle, 79 Bronco 9 inch Rear Axle, Weber 38 DGEV, HEI Distributor
So after fighting my exhaust leaks for four days...yesterday at noon I finally got everything smooth. No exhaust noise and it idled at 550 like a swiss watch. I then went for a drive and after about 5 minutes it started backfiring and acting up. I then realized that I had an intake leak. The exhaust side was now fine but the intake was leaking. I also looke at the (brand new Holley) and the spray nozzle was loose. I went to tighten it and it was stripped....what the? It was at that point that I realized I want to go with stock equipment. I'm not looking for more horsepower. I just want a reliable everyday Jeep. My current setup is: Clifford intake, Holley 390 cfm, headers, Clifford valve cover, HEI Distributor, and its automatic, 1978 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l

So, my questions to the experts:

1. Which stock type intake?
2. Which stock exhaust manifold?
3. Which stock type carb?

I want to be able to bolt everything on including the exhaust down pipe and mufflers. I also want to be able to install power brakes...with the Holley it was impossible. I found a Weber carb kit on eBay, also an exhaust manifold and the rest of the exhaust. What I'm looking for doesn't have to be OEM, just has to be functional and reliable.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and I got the okay to get a fuel injector kit. Which would work best?

Fuel Injection!

Expensive, but worth every penny.

Fuel Injection!

Expensive, but worth every penny.
I found a couple of fuel injector kits online for around 1,200 Now I need to find an intake manifold but it appears as if they are not available new. I found plenty of exhaust manifolds brand new but nothing on the intake. With the injector kit, where would the Co2 sensor go? I guess it would have to be welded on the downpipe.

I was hoping someone would chime in with suggestions. I'd hate to make a mistake by buying the wrong intake, exhaust, and fuel inj kit.

I found this intake on eBay:

Jeep CJ 4.2 Intake Manifold 80-86 CJ5/CJ7/CJ8 | eBay

Not sure if I'm going to have issues plugging everything up since my CJ has no emissions. There is a Howell injection kit that fits 81 - 86 and should fit that manifold.

Another unkown is if the HEI distributor I bought will have any issues with the fuel injection. This is the one I got:

AMC JEEP 232 4.0 4.2 6 CYL HEI DISTRIBUTOR 6511-BLUE | eBay

I found a couple of fuel injector kits online for around 1,200 Now I need to find an intake manifold but it appears as if they are not available new. I found plenty of exhaust manifolds brand new but nothing on the intake. With the injector kit, where would the Co2 sensor go? I guess it would have to be welded on the downpipe.

Yes, you would have cut a hole and weld in a bung in to the head pipe somewhere to install an O2 sensor.

I was hoping someone would chime in with suggestions. I'd hate to make a mistake by buying the wrong intake, exhaust, and fuel inj kit.

I found this intake on eBay:

Jeep CJ 4.2 Intake Manifold 80-86 CJ5/CJ7/CJ8 | eBay

Not sure if I'm going to have issues plugging everything up since my CJ has no emissions. There is a Howell injection kit that fits 81 - 86 and should fit that manifold.

Another unkown is if the HEI distributor I bought will have any issues with the fuel injection. This is the one I got:

AMC JEEP 232 4.0 4.2 6 CYL HEI DISTRIBUTOR 6511-BLUE | eBay

The manifold that you have listed from eBay won't fit your head. The '80 and new heads are different (not much but they are) different than the '72-'79 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l head. Howell doesn't sell an injection kit for the single barrel intake? I've heard a lot of good things about Howell fuel injection kits lately, mainly that they've gotten rid of a little of the "little" quirks in their systems that made them such a PITA in previous years.

The intake manifold you need looks like this; notice how it bolts together to the exhaust manifold? The '80 and newer intake and exhaust manifolds do not bolt together, there are differences in the alignment tabs on the heads of the '72-'79 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 's that won't allow you to use the new manifold unless you grind them down.

cast-iron-AMC-six-cyl-intake-manifold.JPG

oldmanifold.jpg

Another thing I thought of too. If you're going to buy an EFI kit, don't buy it off ebay, if you decide to go with Howell or wherever, order it straight from them. That way you have their warranty, their customer service, etc.

By the looks of this kit (TBI KIT: 1972-80 CJ4 .2L Offroad) it's setup to run on the stock single barrel intake manifold, which you should be able to find pretty easy because everyone generally gets rid of them.

d_16280_113033968794db0420fd1466.jpg

Jeep TBI Products :: TBI KIT: 1972-80 CJ 4.2L Offroad - Howell Engine Developments, Inc.

Also considering your outside the "Golden state" you could do the "junkyard" MPI system from a mid 90's cherokee 4.0 motor and do the 4.0 head upgrade at the same time.
Way better scenario than doing a throttle body setup on your AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l head.

Oh, and I got the okay to get a fuel injector kit. Which would work best?

I guess I missed this, Mopar system of course!
You said "best" and I don't read "cheapest" anywere so there you go.

Yes, you would have cut a hole and weld in a bung in to the head pipe somewhere to install an O2 sensor.

That's what I thought...would be nice to use an exhaust manifold from an 80s since they already have a bung.

The manifold that you have listed from eBay won't fit your head. The '80 and new heads are different (not much but they are) different than the '72-'79 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l head. Howell doesn't sell an injection kit for the single barrel intake? I've heard a lot of good things about Howell fuel injection kits lately, mainly that they've gotten rid of a little of the "little" quirks in their systems that made them such a PITA in previous years.

I've been talking with Affordable Fuel Injection and they make adapters for just about anything. I would really need to know if the 80s will fit my head because another person on another forum said it would if you change both intake and exhaust. I would much rather use 80s to be able to use the bung on the exhaust. Any comments on the Affordable Fuel Injection kits...they are about the same price as the Howell.

The intake manifold you need looks like this; notice how it bolts together to the exhaust manifold? The '80 and newer intake and exhaust manifolds do not bolt together, there are differences in the alignment tabs on the heads of the '72-'79 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 's that won't allow you to use the new manifold unless you grind them down.
Ah, that's what it looks like. How much of a pain would it be to grind and fit the 80s into my 78 head. If too difficult then I would have to find the ones you have posted.

Another thing I thought of too. If you're going to buy an EFI kit, don't buy it off ebay, if you decide to go with Howell or wherever, order it straight from them. That way you have their warranty, their customer service, etc.

By the looks of this kit (TBI KIT: 1972-80 CJ4 .2L Offroad) it's setup to run on the stock single barrel intake manifold, which you should be able to find pretty easy because everyone generally gets rid of them.

Jeep TBI Products :: TBI KIT: 1972-80 CJ 4.2L Offroad - Howell Engine Developments, Inc.

Thanks for the input.

Also considering your outside the "Golden state" you could do the "junkyard" MPI system from a mid 90's cherokee 4.0 motor and do the 4.0 head upgrade at the same time.
Way better scenario than doing a throttle body setup on your AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l head.
That would be awesome. Didn't know the 4.0s heads fit the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l blocks. If I can't find what I need for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I would have to go this route.

I guess I missed this, Mopar system of course!
You said "best" and I don't read "cheapest" anywere so there you go.
Yeah, that would be perfect since it comes with the intake manifold, but not sure they wifey will be happy with the price tag. I should have typed...best for the money...Maybe I can talk here into it.

So, I gave my wifey the fuel injection pitch and it got shot down after disclosing price. She said, "how could you spend that much on an old Jeep". So, I am back to step one. I'm going to have to go carb and I found this one on eBay:
JEEP CJ7 Wrangler Cherokee K551-38 WEBER Carburetor kit | eBay
I also spoke with a very knowledgable Jeep man and I was told that early 80s intake/exhaust will fit my 78 head. The plan is to find an early 80s intake, the Weber 38, an early 80s exhaust manifold, and figure out which downpipe and mufflers to get. The frame is a 74, but the motor 78. Which downpipe should I get 74, 78, or early 80s?

So, I gave my wifey the fuel injection pitch and it got shot down after disclosing price. She said, "how could you spend that much on an old Jeep". So, I am back to step one. I'm going to have to go carb and I found this one on eBay:
JEEP CJ7 Wrangler Cherokee K551-38 WEBER Carburetor kit | eBay
I also spoke with a very knowledgable Jeep man and I was told that early 80s intake/exhaust will fit my 78 head. The plan is to find an early 80s intake, the Weber 38, an early 80s exhaust manifold, and figure out which downpipe and mufflers to get. The frame is a 74, but the motor 78. Which downpipe should I get 74, 78, or early 80s?

:laugh:Some things are best left "undisclosed". She is right though.;).

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom