Help for the Chick!

Help for the Chick!

chodette

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ-5 Renegade 304/V-8
OK guys, I've gotten all the "stuff" off the block and I need to know the best thing to clean and, unfortunately, "sand" the block. It has some surface rust and peeling paint (turquoise) and I have boarderline OCD. NOT WORKING for me....gotta get it all clean! Please let me know what is working....

pressure wash the block using soap and water. They sell engine cleaning brushes at summitracing.com, or use old rifle barrel cleaning brushes.
Then take a wire wheel on a drill and brush all the old paint and rust off.
Then go back and clean the entire engine block with the pressure washer and soap deal.
An engine can never be too clean when rebuilding.

the best "paint remover" I have ever found is brake fluid. A 50% mix of muriatic and water will do a pretty good job on rust. I hope the request for caution while using both of these is not needed but just in case, rubber gloves and eye protection are required.:D

CheepJeep-I am not machining it. All that was done by my Dad less than 5000 miles ago. Just wanting to get it all cleaned up and repainted.

IO-I will try that, but here is my "stupid" question...what holes are imperative that I don't get water in?

Remember....I am new at this:)

Is the engine all together, still in the Jeep? If so, all you need to worry about is the carb and the breather and oil fill openings on the valve covers. Just reread your 1st post. Still not sure if its still in the truck or not , but its had "stuff" removed. Are the intake and exhaust manifolds still on? Or did you just take off bolt on accessories like the power steering pump, alternator ect ? Depending how far you stripped it down and if it's still in the Jeep will help us to help you better.

Last edited:
you should send a picture of what you want to spray water at.:D

CheepJeep-I am not machining it. All that was done by my Dad less than 5000 miles ago. Just wanting to get it all cleaned up and repainted.

IO-I will try that, but here is my "stupid" question...what holes are imperative that I don't get water in?

Remember....I am new at this:)

Here is where I am at. Getting an engine hoist today to pull it off the frame.
P6110002.jpgP6110001-1.jpg

I would love to just power wash it, but I am sure water inside the block is not good....

Sorry, Hole, I missed your post. As you can see from the pictures it has just about everything off. Still have a couple of things left, but I will remove those when we get it off the frame.

If you don't pull anything else I would say stuffing rage into the exhaust holes carburetor holes oil fill holes distributer hole and anything else that leads to an oily part of the engine and duct taping the bejeebers on all the gasket surfaces would handle all but a direct intense hit from a pressure washer.

I have a premonition that before this is over we may need to re title this thread "help for the crazy chick":D

Yep that looks like a good disto, I bought mine from CRT and it looks exactly like that one, Might I suggest if you havent got your paint off yet oven cleaner is the best bar none paint remover...I watched a buddy of mine stip his whole engine bay on a 64 Dodge and when he was done it looked like it was still at the factory waiting to be painted :D it however does nothing for any rust that has accumulated

Rags and duct tape like IO said.

I was always taught that it was best to paint over paint, if it was still sound. The reason being that it sticks better to old paint than to new metal. Just a thought from the "old school"

Hmm....I will definately use the rags and duct tape, but I can see how the oven cleaner would really help with the grease. I'm really not that concerned about getting all the paint off. Just where it is chipping and flaking off. I'll see what I decide to do today and post pics later. Do I need to cover where the vacuum lines, EGR valve screwed in or just the "oily" holes?

BTW, my Dad called me last night to check on my progress and he is sending me $2500 to use on the Jeep:banana:

Now I just need to decide how to spend it!!!

Lunch Break!!! This is what I have accomplished this morning:

Before:
003.jpg005.jpg007.jpg
During:
008.jpg009.jpg012.jpg013.jpg

After lunch I will finish up and post some pics.

How do you guys recommend cleaning up the radiator? Anything special or can I just clean it and repaint?

fzsk4p-Thanks for the compliment, I'm assuming u mean the Jeep :D

I'm POOPED! No more today:
015.jpg016.jpg

and I managed to get the floor boards cut out.....
014.jpg017.jpg

That tub is the bane of my existance:bang:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom