Help identify my rear end

Looks like a chrys 8.25 Look for a tag bolted on the pumpkin cover it will tell you for sure and gear ratio

I am looking for gears for my jeep and I would like to know what I have so I can narrow the search.
Ebay025.jpg

You are going to need new carriers (or full lockers) also. thats presuming you have 2:73 gears now.

wow, such a round and plump rearend
definitely a true cougar,
old and definitely used and knowing what she is doing
just looking for some young man to come along and gently open her up and place his tool within
oh
ah
sorry
wrong website
AMC20 would be my first guess,

I would say that is an AMC20 . I get the feeling you are wanting to put used R&P in this, is this the case?? just for my own curiosity have you built an axle before? or perhaps you plan to pay some one else to do it?
It looks like some one has done nasty things to your brake lines and I bet the air vents are in sad shape too.:cool:

You are going to need new carriers (or full lockers) also. thats presuming you have 2:73 gears now.

I would say that is an AMC20 . I get the feeling you are wanting to put used R&P in this, is this the case?? just for my own curiosity have you built an axle before? or perhaps you plan to pay some one else to do it?
It looks like some one has done nasty things to your brake lines and I bet the air vents are in sad shape too.:cool:
Yes I wanted to know what rear I had so I could keep my eye open for new gears and lockers. I remember a long time ago stripping a hub while power braking one day and while replacing it I counted the teeth and I believe they were 2.73's, yuck!

Yes I have set up several R&P. See that 69 Camaro in my sig? I built it from ground up. :D

Yes I wanted to know what rear I had so I could keep my eye open for new gears and lockers. I remember a long time ago stripping a hub while power braking one day and while replacing it I counted the teeth and I believe they were 2.73's, yuck!

Yes I have set up several R&P. See that 69 Camaro in my sig? I built it from ground up. :D
Sounds like you have a great start. GM and Dana R&P Shims are different though, Dana shims are on the back face of the bearings... A pain in the :censored: . :)

Do your self a favor and make a set of 'easy' bearings... :) -->> Diff Bearing Set-Up Tip. - Jeep-CJ Tech. Articles

..last time I identified a rear end, I got a loud ringing noise in one ear, and a fat lip! :wtf:

Looks like an AMC20 to me also. When I realized I had one and it was a 2 part axle, I discarded it for a Dana 44 .

When I realized I had one and it was a 2 part axle, I discarded it for a Dana 44 .
You mean that the axle is pressed into the brake hub? This is the weak part right? Is there any way it can be welded together to make it stronger?

tubes are a bit week to, good idea to weld the tubes and truss it. Do that and you can hang with the Dana 44 with no problem. it all depends on how scarce Dana 44 's are in your hood. You do have to move the perches a bit but thats a walk in the park.
I have a Dana 44 I am going to build for the CJ, going with an airlock differential and am trying to work out a few details about disk brakes. I am thinking about a truss it it as well. A trussed Dana 44 with airlock and disks , sounds good to me. As narrow tracks go I can't think of anything else that can be done to an axle. what you think??:cool:

You mean that the axle is pressed into the brake hub? This is the weak part right? Is there any way it can be welded together to make it stronger?

No they can not be welded, but you can replace them with one piece axles.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom