Help! Leaking Fuel, Gas Tank?

Help! Leaking Fuel, Gas Tank?

RHacklerLabs

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7, staight six w/ 5sp, bone stock. 1987 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4, getting ready to do V8 swap.
I just bought an 84 CJ7 about three weeks ago. Its stock with a straight 6 & 5sp Transmission . It has 123,000 miles on it & I got it from the son of the original owner who had passed away. First time I filled it up with gas I over filled it. (so didn't think too hard about the smell of fuel) After the 2nd fill up (no spillage) I drove about 4 miles to a store, got out and smelled fuel bad. Its leaking either from the tank or somewhere in that area. Is this a common problem? Its not like this thing was 4Xed hard in the past to put a hole in the tank or anything. It drives perfectly straight down the road and has original paint, so its never so much as had a dent put in it. Any suggestions an where to start looking or taking things apart? Any comments, suggestions are appreciated. Thank You.:confused:

Last edited:
Hello RHacklerLabs and welcome. :chug:

This is not a common problem. There are so many situations that could cause this that it's hard to dial in on it.

The tank could be leaking or even the line from the tank to the pump. I really suspect that one of the RUBBER lines has cracked.

Hello. Had the same problem several years ago on a stock 73 CJ5 . Mine had about a 3/4 inch piece of what looked like rubber or sponge between the tank and the skid plate. It was stuck to the tank and when I pulled it off you could see where it was rusting in several spots on the tank. Started off with one pin hole.What ever the substance was it would stay wet through the winter. Might check it out.

Nothing for it but to spend a little quality time under the rear end of your new Jeep.
The best advice I can give you is to sweep the driveway off before you start.:cool:
My money is on the fill /vent hoses.:cool:

I just bought an 84 CJ7 about three weeks ago. Its stock with a straight 6 & 5sp Transmission . It has 123,000 miles on it & I got it from the son of the original owner who had passed away. First time I filled it up with gas I over filled it. (so didn't think too hard about the smell of fuel) After the 2nd fill up (no spillage) I drove about 4 miles to a store, got out and smelled fuel bad. Its leaking either from the tank or somewhere in that area. Is this a common problem? Its not like this thing was 4Xed hard in the past to put a hole in the tank or anything. It drives perfectly straight down the road and has original paint, so its never so much as had a dent put in it. Any suggestions an where to start looking or taking things apart? Any comments, suggestions are appreciated. Thank You.:confused:

Thanks for the suggestion, first I need to drive it to get most of the fuel out. After that, yeah, I'll be on the garage floor. Thank You again

I had the same trouble with my 84.
I halfassed it, but it worked.
Not wanting to drop the tank, i replaced as much of the rubber hoses from the steel lines to the top of the tank as i could using brass barbed connectors.
No leaks so far, yet.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom