Here's my new project -(pics) with question

cwiehle0

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7
07 Commander,
06 Mazda
86 cj - first on agenda is to get it running, after that I can start teardown. I ordered a hei dist and one of the MC 2100/2150 carbs from the ebay guy. I am stripping wiring and vacuum lines so when the carb gets here I can see if this thing fires. Here's my question- Will I need anything else other than battery power to starter solenoid, fuel supply, good ground to motor, and hookup of distributor? I am used to working on chevy stuff and wanted to double check what I will need to run this. I realize I should probably do a comp. check but I think I'm just going to change the oil and go for it.

Uhh one more thing- The prior owner broke off two of the valve cover bolts :mad:(see pic) any tricks to getting these out other than drilling and trying an ez out

Thanks Chris

001.png

002.png
004.png
035.png

Since your running the HEI it sounds like you have every thing that you need.. did you get the HEI form E-bay?? if so you may want to consider taking it and your old distributor to a shop and have the gears swapped. Seems like a new distributor gear mixed with and old cam gear tends to destroy it self pretty quickly. Ideally you would change both gears to a good quality matched set from some place like bulltear but that means removing all the parts from the front of the engine. Also dont forget to run a vacuum line for your advance and cap off all the other vacuum ports on the carb. I tried the hose and bolt method to make cheap quick plugs and mine ran like poop until I got good caps on it.

Did you get the adapter plate for the carb to intake??

Sorry but all the small problems I had with mine just came flooding back

I cant tell from the pic but do you have auto or manual.. if its a auto the bracket for the kick down will need to get raised. I used a few washers to raise mine up to the right height.

Unless the guy you bought it off of modified it (or mine was just an oddball) you wont beable to hook up your throttle linkage to the 2100..
#1 the hole in the rod will be on the wrong side
#2 it will want to pull the ball part straight down and will bind up. I was able to remove the plate the ball hooked to on my stock carb and modify it to to solve both problems.. if you find out that you have the same issue let me know and I can take pics of mine to show you better.. was really easy.

The pic of the valve cover isnt the best. can you take one of the valve cover off?? or a better closer pic of it the broken bolts?

Since your running the HEI it sounds like you have every thing that you need.. did you get the HEI form E-bay?? if so you may want to consider taking it and your old distributor to a shop and have the gears swapped. Seems like a new distributor gear mixed with and old cam gear tends to destroy it self pretty quickly. Ideally you would change both gears to a good quality matched set from some place like bulltear but that means removing all the parts from the front of the engine. Also dont forget to run a vacuum line for your advance and cap off all the other vacuum ports on the carb. I tried the hose and bolt method to make cheap quick plugs and mine ran like poop until I got good caps on it.

Did you get the adapter plate for the carb to intake??
Thanks for the tips and yes the adapter plate is supposed to be included.

Chris, is that a wrangler tub your putting on ? Cant quite make out the images ?

It is a Wrangler tub, and no I am not putting it on. It is pretty rotted underneath and I already went through that with my chevelle so I am going to look for something more solid or a fiberglass tub. If I do buy a Wrangler tub I and going to use CJ7 grill and fenders.

Sorry but all the small problems I had with mine just came flooding back

I cant tell from the pic but do you have auto or manual.. if its a auto the bracket for the kick down will need to get raised. I used a few washers to raise mine up to the right height.

Unless the guy you bought it off of modified it (or mine was just an oddball) you wont beable to hook up your throttle linkage to the 2100..
#1 the hole in the rod will be on the wrong side
#2 it will want to pull the ball part straight down and will bind up. I was able to remove the plate the ball hooked to on my stock carb and modify it to to solve both problems.. if you find out that you have the same issue let me know and I can take pics of mine to show you better.. was really easy.

The pic of the valve cover isnt the best. can you take one of the valve cover off?? or a better closer pic of it the broken bolts?

Thanks For the tips. I'm gonna try and get the valve cover off and see what's going on. I'll shoot a pic if I remember.

Thanks Chris

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom