Hi from the UK.

Hi from the UK.

markfitton

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ 7 1978 imported to israel I think but now in Egypt.
Hi guys , new member from the uk seeking advice from you.

Im in the uk but I visit egypt a lot for windsurfing, I have a house in a remote part of Sinai in a beduin village called Asalla a part of dahab in south sinai, which is a mountainous rocky sandy desert.

There are many many old jeeps about in this area, because of the climate , body work is no problem, and the egyptians/beduin , keep them going with little more it seems than a hammer and the occasional spanner. Consequently if the vehicle moves it is regarded as working fine , there is no concept of maintenance.

I bought three years ago a CJ7 with a AMC 232 i6 engine, there is no VIN plate on the vehicle , and the vehicle id stamped on the chassis and engine do not correspond correctly with the stuff I have seen on sites and manuals.
I think it was stolen from israel then registered in sinai around the handover time post 82.

Anyway its a 1978 AMC 232 i6 straight 6, and all original

Its always had an oil problem , but now its throwing out a lot of oil from the dipstick and pushing oil from the rocker cover via the breather into the Airfilter.( None of the PCV system was there but the fumes were terible so I put this in. which has cured this but made the oil problem worse)

With my Limited knowledge im thinking a piston ring problem ????

There are no pressure guage testers out there so im stuck with having to get a mechanic to strip it and have a look. A rebore is out of the question, would it be allright to just replace the rings ?

Any help or advice will be greatfully recieved as im not sure what to do. a lot of the egyptians are just telling me to rip out the engine and put in an imported second hand Toyota, but I bought it as it was original.

cheers

mark

The point of having a pcv is to relieve pressure in your motor with out it it builds to much pressure and starts to blow oil out any where it can. You need to get a good working pvc system working and should cure your problem. oh and :ww:

I am guessing you plugged the PCV hole to keep the fumes down? The PVC is normally connected to manifold vacuum to deal with the back pressure /piston blow by in the crank case. Install a PCV and hook the vent to the breather and see if that reduces the oil loss. The manifold vacuum will be at the base of the carb or on the manifold itself. and large vacuum tap below the level of the throttle plates. As much sand as this thing has more than likely sucked in it may be beyond this fix but I hate to think a Toy motor was the best available.

Hi guys , new member from the uk seeking advice from you.

Im in the uk but I visit egypt a lot for windsurfing, I have a house in a remote part of Sinai in a beduin village called Asalla a part of dahab in south sinai, which is a mountainous rocky sandy desert.

There are many many old jeeps about in this area, because of the climate , body work is no problem, and the egyptians/beduin , keep them going with little more it seems than a hammer and the occasional spanner. Consequently if the vehicle moves it is regarded as working fine , there is no concept of maintenance.

I bought three years ago a CJ7 with a AMC 232 i6 engine, there is no VIN plate on the vehicle , and the vehicle id stamped on the chassis and engine do not correspond correctly with the stuff I have seen on sites and manuals.
I think it was stolen from israel then registered in sinai around the handover time post 82.

Anyway its a 1978 AMC 232 i6 straight 6, and all original

Its always had an oil problem , but now its throwing out a lot of oil from the dipstick and pushing oil from the rocker cover via the breather into the Airfilter.( None of the PCV system was there but the fumes were terible so I put this in. which has cured this but made the oil problem worse)

With my Limited knowledge im thinking a piston ring problem ????

There are no pressure guage testers out there so im stuck with having to get a mechanic to strip it and have a look. A rebore is out of the question, would it be allright to just replace the rings ?

Any help or advice will be greatfully recieved as im not sure what to do. a lot of the egyptians are just telling me to rip out the engine and put in an imported second hand Toyota, but I bought it as it was original.

cheers

mark

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

The PVC system is in acordance with the manual . PVC valve at the back of the rocker cover ( working) . Inlet at the front from the airfilter. The oil is now coming up this line to the air filter. :mad: and out of the dipstick all over the starter.

I would rather get this engine sorted than a second hand toyoto.

Rings ???

Rings will not make the oil come up and out the dipstick. The only reason for this is that I know of is to much pressure build up. So I say your pvc system is not working right. Your pcv valve is pluged or it's not hooked up right. Do you have it hooked up to manifold vac.

any chance of a compression check?
Pull the PCV valve off the hose with the engine running and see if it continues to run.:cool:

I could take a pressure test guage back out with me if I can find a cheap one. Which is what im thinking off if you guys think it isnt really rings.

I dont want to do the rings if this it isnt the cause.

The engine runs without the PCV valve, in but it sprays oil out of the hole in the rocker case all over the hood. theres obviously a lot of fumes as well.

The ball bearing in the PCV valve moves and I can blow through the line into the manifold, so it should be sucking out the air.

My thinking was if a ring had gone or they are just worn pressure would escape into the crankcase , pushing the oil out. As I say though im not a mechanic, just seemed logical.

Theres obviously a lot of pressure as oil is being pushed up into the airfilter as well.

I don't think it should run with that large a vacuum leak, if it will it should run very very badly. Do you feel vacuum at the end of the hose with it running?:cool:

Yeah it definatly runs with the PCV valve out of the rocker cover, no difference really in how it runs.

I havent tried to see if there is suction. I will ask a friend over there to check.

You really dont think it could be the rings ??

Actually what I had in mind was to pull the PCV from the hose or the hose from the manifold.:cool:

Yeah it definatly runs with the PCV valve out of the rocker cover, no difference really in how it runs.

I havent tried to see if there is suction. I will ask a friend over there to check.

Rings will not cause this. With a V6 you should have a vent on one valve cover and a pcv on the other hooked up to a manifold vac.

Right an update

I have bought a compresion tester so I will do this when I am back out there.

I will recheck the Pcv valve , as I say I can blow down it into the manifold but havent checked suction. The inlet is from the air filtrer housing to the grommet at the front of the rocker cover and this isnt blocked as oil is coming up it into the filter housing.:mad:

My understanding is that the pcv is to let out fumes which then get burnt in the carb. Its not fumes which are the problem its to much pressure in the sump as oil is comimg out of the dipstick big time.

You guys all tell me its the PCV valve though so I will deffinatly check.

On a different note just about to order the HEI distributor and a K550 32 36 degree redland weber ( with electric choke , what the hell is that all about ?)

If I get the oil sorted it should at least run better with these on:)

Im also looking at the MK rebuild kit as i might just do this , exspensive though.:confused:

Thanks for your replies

mark

Your pcv should be hooked to manifold vac. not the air cleaner. If you have it pluged into the air cleaner this is your problem. It's not there to let out fumes it's there to releive the pressure in your motor. You also need a good breather on the other valve cover. And are you asking what a electric chock is? A carb with a electric chock has a spring on the side of it that you plug a 12volt wire to and when it's cold the spring gets bigger and closes the chock then when you start it the 12volts going to it heats the spring up and it will open the chock up. Hope this helps.

as I say I can blow down it into the manifold but havent checked suction. The inlet is from the air filtrer housing to the grommet at the front of the rocker cover and this isnt blocked as oil is coming up it into the filter housing.:mad:

There are two holes in the rocker cover the one at the back is via the PCV to the exhaust manifold. The one at the front allows filtered air into the rocker cover via the fliter housing.

This is the way its shown in the diagram I have in the manual.

Where do you guys have the inlet hose from ?

mark

I am sure you mean PVC to intake manifold?:D

"There are two holes in the rocker cover the one at the back is via the PCV to the exhaust manifold."

as I say I can blow down it into the manifold but havent checked suction. The inlet is from the air filtrer housing to the grommet at the front of the rocker cover and this isnt blocked as oil is coming up it into the filter housing.:mad:

There are two holes in the rocker cover the one at the back is via the PCV to the exhaust manifold. The one at the front allows filtered air into the rocker cover via the fliter housing.

This is the way its shown in the diagram I have in the manual.

Where do you guys have the inlet hose from ?

mark

I'm going to contradict other well established members here.

Keeping in mind a compression test never a bad idea.

Make sure your oil level is correct. It may also be possible someone put the wrong dipstick in your jeep at some point. You may be overfilled.

If your crankcase/PCV is hooked up correctly, (to a suction source, not necessarily vaccuum) and you're getting oil blowing out of both that, and your dipstick tube. You have excessive blow-by.

You need rings and a cylinder hone. No rebore should be necessary.

It probably has some service life left, if you don't mind adding a quart of oil every twenty, fifty to a hundred miles. If you have needed to do this (add oil) and no leaks are present, it's definitely re-ring time.

Pull your dipstick, if you smell raw gas (petrol) in the oil, your rings are probably shot.

With the motor running, and the oil fill cap removed, if the cranckcase vapors are shooting out like from a boiling tea kettle, rings.

Over the years...

Timing adjustments have probably kept your carb vacuum at acceptable limits, but the problem is, you end up running richer and richer to prevent running lean. Running richer thins the oil on the cylinder walls, and that speeds up the wear.

Last edited:
Also, mating a Toyota motor/tranny to to your jeep will most likely present some issues with Transfer Case /drive axles. It's not a direct swap, with the Toyotas I have seen.

sound wisdom. I agree completely.:cool:
what would qualify as a suction rather than vacuum source?:wtf:

I'm going to contradict other well established members here.

Keeping in mind a compression test never a bad idea.

Make sure your oil level is correct. It may also be possible someone put the wrong dipstick in your jeep at some point. You may be overfilled.

If your crankcase/PCV is hooked up correctly, (to a suction source, not necessarily vaccuum) and you're getting oil blowing out of both that, and your dipstick tube. You have excessive blow-by.

You need rings and a cylinder hone. No rebore should be necessary.

It probably has some service life left, if you don't mind adding a quart of oil every twenty, fifty to a hundred miles. If you have needed to do this (add oil) and no leaks are present, it's definitely re-ring time.

Pull your dipstick, if you smell raw gas (petrol) in the oil, your rings are probably shot.

With the motor running, and the oil fill cap removed, if the cranckcase vapors are shooting out like from a boiling tea kettle, rings.

Over the years...

Timing adjustments have probably kept your carb vacuum at acceptable limits, but the problem is, you end up running richer and richer to prevent running lean. Running richer thins the oil on the cylinder walls, and that speeds up the wear.

what would qualify as a suction rather than vacuum source?:wtf:
Air cleaner port = suction. (c-case breather, heat riser, CTO Atmo Port on some years, Carb bowl vent some years)

The suction varies based on anything from how many parts of the air inlet system are intact, to how dirty the breather filter is. no set limits, as long as it flows freely. Generally described as Atmosphere, but we all know anything exiting these ports are sucked into the Carburetor.

Ports on Carb and Intake = Vacuum. definite numbers, functions and ranges are specified.

Not exactly an ASE term, but I hope the general idea is understood.

Last edited:
Ok , this all sounds like I assumed,:chug: bondo. If I remove the PCV valve the oil just gets sprayed on the hood, It pushes oil out till the low oil pressure light comes on , then I have to add more oil.

Problem its going all over the starter and knackered one.

I would rather keep this engine and the four wheel drive , than replace with a toyota, if this is the fix. The engine seems to run quite well with no bad noises.

What should the pressure test read ?

Ive bought a honing tool as well, this will be the only one in sinai along with the pressure tester:D

Seperate question which redline weber carb K550 32/36 degree or 38 ?. Electric or manual choke. ?

cheers all

mark

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom