Holley Offroad Truck Avenger 470cfm

Holley Offroad Truck Avenger 470cfm

gotaluvaCJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973 CJ5,304V8,33's Interco TSL, Skyjacker Softride Hydro Shocks,Wetlands Camo.
1994 Wrangler 4cyc,winch, 32's BFG Mud tires
2008 Dodge Nitro
I have decided i am gonna go with the Holley TA 470cfm carb for my AMC 304 v8. I was wondering i have a Holley Double Pumper now,not sure what size and it is on an edelbrock manifold. Do i need to change the manifold or is there an adapter i can put on the present manifold to mount my Holley TA to.

You shouldn't have any problem.
Easy swap as long as your Truck Avenger is new. Even if it is not new just make sure you have all the linkages and fittings.

It should bolt right up.
Good luck with it.

most holley carburetors feature the spread bore design. if you have a spread bore manifold you can bolt right on. if you have a square bore, you will have to buy a small spacer. I have seen them on the shelf at auto zone and discount auto. not expensive, 15-25 bucks.
:madjeep:

The truck avenger is a square bore pattern.

just saying if it doesn't fit the adapter isn't much.

most holley carburetors feature the spread bore design. if you have a spread bore manifold you can bolt right on. if you have a square bore, you will have to buy a small spacer. I have seen them on the shelf at auto zone and discount auto. not expensive, 15-25 bucks.
:madjeep:

To the contrary, Holley carburetors are generally of the square bore pattern.
The "Spreadbore" was a attempt by Holley to make a simpler "QuadraJet" carb.;)

So can my AMC 304 do fine with a 470. Some highway local short distance and some offroad
:chug:

I have that carb on mine, I love it! Had it on about a year and a half and I've had no issues whatsoever, Had my Jeep pretty tilted and it never even sputtered!

I have the 670 on a healthy V8 and it has wicked throttle response. By comparison I put on an Edelbrock 600 and did alot of tuning to it but I could not get the same drivability or power. I thought the smaller primaries would net me better gas mileage but that didn't happen and I leaned it out to the point of not being drivable.

I have the 670 on a healthy V8 and it has wicked throttle response. By comparison I put on an Edelbrock 600 and did alot of tuning to it but I could not get the same drivability or power. I thought the smaller primaries would net me better gas mileage but that didn't happen and I leaned it out to the point of not being drivable.

IMHO it's the "Annular Discharge Boosters" in the Primaries that give it the "wicked throttle response".

I've modified Holley's for "off road" in the past, but of coarse "Annular Discharge Boosters" were not an option. I also really like the "Blow Out Proof Power Valves". :cool:

OK, The Dirty CJ you have a 6cyc with a 470 and i have a V8 and i was just worried i was putting too small of carb on it with a 470. It appears that i need to use a 670.:chug:

OK, The Dirty CJ you have a 6cyc with a 470 and i have a V8 and i was just worried i was putting too small of carb on it with a 470. It appears that i need to use a 670.:chug:
You know I did have to jet it down a bit because 470 was too big. On the Offenhauser manifold and the 4.0 head swap I think I put it down to around 370 of so. All I can say is with the set up "as is" I have had zero problems and I love it. Good luck on the build and keep us posted!

The 470cfm model would be the one for a AMC 304 V8.
I'm running a 670 cfm on my 401+ci V8 & it runs great.

Here's a link for the math: Calculate Required CFM Of Carburetor

Hey I'm currently looking at these carbs for my build, and the holley website says not to use the 470cfm on any V8. Or tow with them, or drive on the street, so what gives??

Hey I'm currently looking at these carbs for my build, and the holley website says not to use the 470cfm on any V8. Or tow with them, or drive on the street, so what gives??

They want you to buy the bigger and more expensive 670 and then buy all of the jets and springs to tune it down to where it will run right.

The 470 is just fine for a AMC 304 . It can even work reasonably well on a 360 if you tune it right.

I really wish Holley would make a 570 TA. That would be just about perfect for the 360 in my J10.

They want you to buy the bigger and more expensive 670 and then buy all of the jets and springs to tune it down to where it will run right.

The 470 is just fine for a AMC 304 . It can even work reasonably well on a 360 if you tune it right.

I really wish Holley would make a 570 TA. That would be just about perfect for the 360 in my J10.

Thanks Derf, so do you think that even if I pull a small trailer with my Harley, and a small 12' aluminum boat ( I figure less than 1700lbs), across the country, then the 470 would still be fine? I had been thinking about a mild RV cam as well... just don't want to undersize it.

Thanks Derf, so do you think that even if I pull a small trailer with my Harley, and a small 12' aluminum boat ( I figure less than 1700lbs), across the country, then the 470 would still be fine? I had been thinking about a mild RV cam as well... just don't want to undersize it.

A AMC 304 AMC is a good Jeep motor, but it's not designed to pull past the 5000 rpm range without major modifications. That being said the 470 is all the carb you need. the annular discharge primary boosters really enhance you low RPM response & improve low end power. If you run the computer widgets they'll all tell that's plenty of carb.

I run a .030 over 401 V8 in my CJ8 & I'm running the 670 ORTA on mine & she'll turn 6500 RPM.;)

A AMC 304 AMC is a good Jeep motor, but it's not designed to pull past the 5000 rpm range without major modifications. That being said the 470 is all the carb you need. the annular discharge primary boosters really enhance you low RPM response & improve low end power. If you run the computer widgets they'll all tell that's plenty of carb.

I run a .030 over 401 V8 in my CJ8 & I'm running the 670 ORTA on mine & she'll turn 6500 RPM.;)

Hey thanks, I suppose the 470 is the one then. I definately didn't want to get too big.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom