Hood Fitment Question

Hood Fitment Question

Nomad127

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'73 CJ5 with '84 258, D30/D44
I've got a '73 CJ5 with a hood that is completely :dung: rigged-up. To attach the front latch brace section, the PO sprayed foam glue! Seriously.....foam glue. I'd like to replace the hood rather than deal with removing all that :dung:. As I look through around, what other model hoods will work with my Jeep? YJ, TJ, etc.? Thanks!

pictures please?? I think your gonna be stuck with that hood, for sure a tj,yj isn't gonna work. I would start experimenting with solvents, Acetone, MEK, Goof off, etc.:D

I've got a '73 CJ5 with a hood that is completely :dung: rigged-up. To attach the front latch brace section, the PO sprayed foam glue! Seriously.....foam glue. I'd like to replace the hood rather than deal with removing all that :dung:. As I look through around, what other model hoods will work with my Jeep? YJ, TJ, etc.? Thanks!

Classy, huh? You can see that the section doesn't really fit well but it does latch without issue. There's only surface rust but small dents all over the top. I'm pretty sure this is a cheap aftermarket as it's pretty thin sheetmetal.

If you can find another one I would say go for it. I think a little attention to detail and a quality panel adhesive would have made a much better job. for that matter a little clean up of the overflow would go a long way.

Depending on the severity of the dents you may be able to pull some out on a hot day with a chunk of dry ice. I have had some success with this on light hail damage but you can't be sure the paint won't chip when it shrinks.:cool:

I'm in the process of prepping to repaint the entire thing so not worried about the paint. I'll try to clean it up/off and see what happens.

I'm going to try to burn it out and see what happens. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
DId the foam glue hold? Clean up the foam and leave it, and use auto panel adhesive along the edge.

Have you tried to dissolve it? Maybe gas or carb cleaner.

Burning might shrink or soften the sheet metal.

I started to burn it and it worked pretty well but made a mess so I just stuck in a flathead screwdriver and dug it all out. Much cleaner job. I then held it in place with some clamps and welded it in properly. I'm about to weld in some flat stock strips to help brace it some as it's pretty flimsy.

Keep the welding to a minimum, whatever you do will stand out like Boobs an a 2x4.:cool:

boobs on a 2x4 ?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom