Hot, Hot, Hot

Hot, Hot, Hot
I think all you need to look for is the Contour dual fan. One of the guys who have done this should chime in sometime. Your local junkyard or pull a part should hopefully have one.

You guys are really being quite helpful; I really appreciate it! I have already found a Contour fan in Durham, NC (not far from me). But before I begin this adventure, can anyone confirm whether they've successfully run the AMC 304 without the electric fan? I mean, it seems like Jeep produced these for years, so is the upgrade necessary, especially since I don't anticipate running really hard?

Here is my take on electric fans and why I would recommend you have one.
Electric fans don't run all the time, in fact they don't run 90% of the time. You just don't need a fan at anything over 15 or 20 MPH. The electric fan will give you much more air movement than the mechanical at idle. This all works out to a much cooler and quieter driving experience. Be sure you have the fan control solenoid (I use a 40 amp Bosh) on a thermostat switch and accessory power with the fan run directly from the battery, with a fuse, I use 30 amp. per fan.
The good things are you don't need horse power to cool the engine, you don't use the fan if you don't need it, your water pump will last much longer with no fan blade stressing the bearing, the mechanical fan is really quite noisy, you don't appreciate this until it is gone. The list is really rather long. It is a bit of work to do it right but well worth it.:cool:
The contour fan just happens to fit the CJ radiator with a minimum of work and give you the most fan for the space and it is a small enough depth to clear the water pump pulley when in place. Have fun:D

Nice pro-fan argument; makes sense. So my list should include the fan, the control solenoid switch, something to run power directly from the battery, and a couple of 30 amp fuses... Am I missing anything? I really want to do this once, and do it right.

You guys are really being quite helpful; I really appreciate it! I have already found a Contour fan in Durham, NC (not far from me). But before I begin this adventure, can anyone confirm whether they've successfully run the AMC 304 without the electric fan? I mean, it seems like Jeep produced these for years, so is the upgrade necessary, especially since I don't anticipate running really hard?

of course they run fine from the factory as is.
as long as the components of the original cooling system are in good working order, no need for electrics at all.

Heat Shrink Tubing

This is a great place to get all kinds of stuff for these kind of projects.
Check out the adhesive lined heat shrink tube, insulated and seals the splice.
I like solder splices over crimp whenever possible.
they have a good selection of relays, the only place I have found that has 40 amp bosh relays. The junk yard is also a great place for relays and fuse blocks even circuit bakers.:cool:

There is, I believe, a sticky or something in the archives about using relays that you may find interesting. :cool:
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f7/power-distribution-4138/index2.html
here is a little project I did that I think has great potential.

Nice pro-fan argument; makes sense. So my list should include the fan, the control solenoid switch, something to run power directly from the battery, and a couple of 30 amp fuses... Am I missing anything? I really want to do this once, and do it right.

Last edited:
I have looked for the relay thread and not found it. Perhaps our venerable archives master knows or its where a bouts.
:cool:

During my search for the Contour fans, I've also been looking at the Shrouds... used are nearly impossible to find. New ones, well there over 100.00. Has anyone tried the universal ones from Spectre or TransDapt? Those came up on a search of Jeep Parts Online for my 74 and run 60-70 per. Just weighing my options...

The fan info is in the thread posted above also the relay info's :)
See post #14

http://www.dlcparts.com/images/BoschGuide.pdf

Brock you are truly the archives Ayatollah.
This is the best tutorial on switching relay circuits I have ever seen. I recommend every one have a copy of this in their documents file. It is a very handy PDF.:cool:

I am once again on a voyage of discovery after a hard drive crash week before last, a lot of Jeep info went to silicon heaven. :(

I never thought I would ever have a hard drive that was that big. Now we need that much storage space just for back up.

Yeah I just bought an external 1TB drive to back up my :dung:.

Saw a laptop yesterday Intel 6 core processor and 4TB of storage.

To the OP I've never used a universal fan shroud but the thing with a shroud is it has to be close to the fan and the fan has to set halfway inside the shroud to perform properly.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom