Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30
'82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30
Do you prefer the AMC I6 or the AMC V8?

Why?

What is this "v-8" you speak of??

Nothing beats the sound of an AMC 8 breathing out through 2 tubes when you stomp on it... I love the 6's we have, but nothing beats the 8 for over all sound, performance, and attitude!

cb

Torque is usable power at low RPM's. that is what the 6 does well.
of course 7 mains and the probability of making at least 300 K miles is a plus too.
I do admit that an 8 sounds good infront of a pair of headers and glass packs but I'm old now and can't hear s**t so why agravate it.

:chug:

I think they both have there ups and downs v8s, you can get the sound performance and horsepower but they guzzle the fuel, and a I6 depending on how open you have it has decent gas mileage,and good low end torque like any inline 6, im a gonna have to go with the I6 just because im a chevy motor man but not about to dump one of those in my jeep. ill have to go with the Keep It Simple Stupid lol

I've had both, and keep coming back to the good old, reliable as a hammer I-6. Simple, tough, good fuel mileage, cheap, easy to work on, and plenty of grunt where you need it in a Jeep.

I've had more than one of each and say what you want about a six having low end torque, my 401 V8 has more torque any where on the tach.;)
P.S. Also a wider RPM band to boot.

As previously stated, both have their perks! I have owned several of the I6's, but don't do enough wheelin' to need the low RPM torque. The AMC 304 has an unbeatable sound and always instigates the question from nonJeepers, "What ya got in that thing?"

Truth is, you can't go wrong with either engine. Now, to answer the question, I think the AMC 304 rumble is for me. Every car I own has a V8, why stop at the Jeep! :chug:

I've had more than one of each and say what you want about a six having low end torque, my 401 V8 has more torque any where on the tach.;)

Eh, I have a 401 sittin on a pallet, but have no desire to stick it in my CJ. I quit beating the hell out of my Jeeps years ago, and just dont need over the top power. Hell, I could put a cummins diesel in there too, but I only need so much torque and <-BAD WORD-> to move a little glass CJ around. :p

I was wondering when some one would open this can of worms.:rolleyes:

I was shooting the breeze and drinking barley pop with a drag boat mechanic who was of the opinion that the biggest thing wrong with my jeep was it had only 6 cylinders, I remember saying that there was no place I was aware of in off road circles where a 1500 HP V8 that ran on liquefied fart gas for 10 seconds at a time would be of any use at all.

There is a place for every motor or they would have never made more than one. For my kind of wheeling the l6 is the weapon of choice, but I don't think I would want a l6 of any make in a one ton 4X4 truck. A 1/4 ton 4X4 truck is a diferent story. My 81 J10 pulls a 16 ft trailer with a tractur on it and has carried a lot more than 500 pounds in the bed and it gets 20 MPG, I wish I could get that with the CJ but the ratios in the truck are 2.73/1 as I recall. power steering and brakes and even A/C it's down right civilized.

I love my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 's and if you don't like yours, change it!! but please take lots of pictures so the rest of us can watch.:chug:

Eh, I have a 401 sittin on a pallet, but have no desire to stick it in my CJ. I quit beating the hell out of my Jeeps years ago, and just dont need over the top power. Hell, I could put a cummins diesel in there too, but I only need so much torque and <-BAD WORD-> to move a little glass CJ around. :p

My little 11/4 ton 4500lbs. Farm Truck CJ8 needs a little :censored:ss to get up the 5 foot waterfall than your average CJ. Just call me power hungry!:driving:

Just had to stir up the pot didn't you CJ :p?

Having never personnally owned an AMC V8, I don't know about them. I have had several Ford V8's and my '01 XJ has the 4.0L in her. And when comparing the two, I would take my 4.0L any day over a 302 or 351 Ford V8.

For what I do with my CJ I have no complaints at all with with the power, reliability and milage that my straigt 6 provides, I have no desire to swap to a V8.

There is no replacement for displacement.
Your 8 could get by on good looks alone.:drool:

Did you actually find torque curves for these two engines I have been looking diligently for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and can’t find it.

I'm new to the forum, but I get in on this :D. I have never owned a I6 but had a friend in high school that had one in a 79 CJ. I have to give credit where is's due, that engine is pleanty of power (To the ground) to run that light of a truck. I on the other had purchased my jeep at an auction on the cheap, and it happens to have a AMC 304 . Mine only goes 2WD right now so thats the only "road tests" I have done with the car. The V8 when running good almost seems like to much power.......but i guess thats the point :rolleyes:

Theres one very easy solution that you guys seem to be missing here. Get both. Multiple Cjs is where its at. I love my 360 in the CJ5 . The AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l in the Scrambler serves its purpose as well. As soon as I get it tuned right Im sure I'll be plenty happy with it.

I've owned both, and to me, the I-6, while a great engine in every respect, is downright BORING to drive. Putt to where your going, putt around, putt home....ZZZzzzzzzz

I gotta go with the V-8 (PS CW, you wanna get rid of that 401 by chance??)

I've owned both, and to me, the I-6, while a great engine in every respect, is downright BORING to drive. Putt to where your going, putt around, putt home....ZZZzzzzzzz

I gotta go with the V-8 (PS CW, you wanna get rid of that 401 by chance??)

Yes...yes I do. I also want to get rid of the damn Giant Continental V-12 AV1790 sitting next to it. But I just can't seem to let them go!! I know full well that I will never do a damn thing with them either. They've been steam cleaned, oiled, and wrapped up for safe keeping, are fully complete with every bracket hose wire and belt. And they run (ran anyway) like a champ when they were pulled. The AMC engine came from a Grand Waggy with around 60,000 miles on it (IIRC) that had been pounded in the rear and totaled, the Conti was an odd freebee find. It was running a saw mill when I found it, and It may have come from a US Army tank, or a fire truck. The owner of the mill had a few and couldn't remember which was which. I wish I could just get rid of them, Their packed away at a friends storage garage, and I haven't even seen them in a good 10 years.

I am coming down to CT around Thanksgiving... you want to unload that 401? I could use some more torque.

cb

8 cyl all the way! Sorry but I'm an old school yet young at heart kinda guy...

The super wide torque band of the eight makes it perfect for me!

That and the screaming sound it makes at six grand! :)

8 cyl all the way! Sorry but I'm an old school yet young at heart kinda guy...

The super wide torque band of the eight makes it perfect for me!

That and the screaming sound it makes at six grand! :)

Children...The late GREAT Granville King (the greatest jeeper to ever walk this earth :notworthy:) Would be ashamed of you!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom