Idle Issues

Idle Issues

Abrokjp

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5 -258/T-150-D20-D30/AMC20
Let me begin by saying I am not a mechanical genuis. What I know I learned here or from my CJ5 (usually the hard way).

I drove my Jeep for about an hour early this morning with no issues. A couple of hours later my daughter and I took it to town and it would completely die when coasting to a stop sign. It would start right back up every time, but I had to keep my foot on the gas when at a stop.
I figured the idle was out of adjustment so when I got back to the house I ran it and just screwed the idle screw in/out until it was running even. Took it for a test drive with no issues. Later I was noodling around under the hood and heard something that normally isn't there. I look at my fuel filter (clear) and there are bubbles coming up in the fuel that is present in the filter. Screwed the idle adjustment back out and it stopped.

I assume these bubbles can't be good, right? But if I have to have it turned up to get it to run, is there something else that could be causing my issues?
Thanks,
Matt

Did this just start?
what carb do you have?
Does the filter have one or two outlets??

Let me begin by saying I am not a mechanical genuis. What I know I learned here or from my CJ5 (usually the hard way).

I drove my Jeep for about an hour early this morning with no issues. A couple of hours later my daughter and I took it to town and it would completely die when coasting to a stop sign. It would start right back up every time, but I had to keep my foot on the gas when at a stop.
I figured the idle was out of adjustment so when I got back to the house I ran it and just screwed the idle screw in/out until it was running even. Took it for a test drive with no issues. Later I was noodling around under the hood and heard something that normally isn't there. I look at my fuel filter (clear) and there are bubbles coming up in the fuel that is present in the filter. Screwed the idle adjustment back out and it stopped.

I assume these bubbles can't be good, right? But if I have to have it turned up to get it to run, is there something else that could be causing my issues?
Thanks,
Matt

I am wondering how old any vacuum line is and if they are cracked or leaking air

Yes it just started. In fact between drives today. I have a MC2100. Did you ever blow bubbles in your drink when you were a kid? That's what it looked like. It is the same type of filter that has been on it since I bought the Jeep 5 years ago, but not the same one. When I turned the idle screw back down it stopped. Jeep doesn't run as well, but no bubbles.

I bet you got a leak in the fuel line between the pump and tank, your sucking air from someplace and that would be an excelant place to start looking. looking for loose clamps, week hose and cracked pipe.:cool:

One more possibility, broken diaphragm. smell the dipstick for gas in the oil. not a good thing, hard on the bearings and I guess you could dissipater in the middle of an intersection.

I have check all of the fuel lines from the pump forward and the soft fuel lines from the tank to the steel lines. All have no visible cracks/leaks. Jeep is still running rough. Thinking about just replacing all the rubber lines and seeing what happens. Might go ahead and do a carb rebuild. Hasn't been done since I have owned the vehicle and doesn't look too difficult especially with all of the write-ups on the subject. Any other ideas while it is down?

Thanks,
Matt

sounds like a good plan to me. the air has to come from some place.:cool:

I have check all of the fuel lines from the pump forward and the soft fuel lines from the tank to the steel lines. All have no visible cracks/leaks. Jeep is still running rough. Thinking about just replacing all the rubber lines and seeing what happens. Might go ahead and do a carb rebuild. Hasn't been done since I have owned the vehicle and doesn't look too difficult especially with all of the write-ups on the subject. Any other ideas while it is down?

Thanks,
Matt

replacing all the rubber fuel lines, and new clamps is a great idea
diaphragm rubber is also a great idea
as is replacing all the vacuum lines
Try all that, then rebuild the carb.
I can tell you, I learned 50 percent of what I know about vehicles by working on them, I also have taken professional courses when the schedule was open.
I can say it has helped my enjoyment of a lifetime hobby, and that is screwing with old vehicles. Jeeps just happen to be my favorite as I can take them into the wild and explore, one of my driving passions.
Get the grease under those fingernails and find out the problem and work on it, you will be proud of that CJ that YOU keep up. And time spent tinkering with it while spending time with the kids will pay off as nothing beats memories of shooting the bull with your parents while doing something that everyone is doing a mutual project they get to enjoy.
It is a family thing as I see it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom