Installing Intake/Exhaust Manifold

Installing Intake/Exhaust Manifold

Al Lindner

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ 7 258 CID T176
2004 F-150
Is it advisable to use a gasket sealer on the Exhaust / intake manifold gasket? the pins on the head wont hold it in place while I try and put the header inplace. any suggestions would be helpful

Is it advisable to use a gasket sealer on the Exhaust / intake manifold gasket? the pins on the head wont hold it in place while I try and put the header inplace. any suggestions would be helpful

:)Depends on the gasket.............normally yes on the Intake and no on the exhaust.........if you have room put a long bolt on each end to serve as a dowel
once you get the others in place with the gasket pull the ends and use the original bolts , tighten slowly side to side.
:D:D:D:D

Its a one piece gasket. Looks Aluminized, the bolts are after market that hold the intake and exhaust with clamps that hold the intake inplace

Its a one piece gasket. Looks Aluminized, the bolts are after market that hold the intake and exhaust with clamps that hold the intake inplace

:)OK most gaskets will come with instructions regarding sealants........I would think that gasket being aluminum coated may not take any sealant?
Can you take a couple of old bolts that are longer and cut the heads off of them & thread them in and use those as dowels to get the gasket and manifold in place?
Then put your after market bolts in.

Sounds like a plan. I was a gasket kit that came with a reman. engine. Anyway it TOO DAMN Hot to do anything today

Sounds like a plan. I was a gasket kit that came with a reman. engine. Anyway it TOO DAMN Hot to do anything today

:)Sounds good.......... the studs will at least allow you to get it close enough to slide it in and stay there while your getting the other bolts in place..........
Let us know how it turns out. 72 degrees in Nor Cal today.

It’s raining up here but that’s not uncommon. No sealant on the intake/exhaust combo manifold on the AMC I6. The key is to make sure the plain on the manifolds are true where they mate up to the head. If that is correct the gasket alone will do.

PS: An exhaust shop can true them up if needed.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom