Installing new Dana 30 inner seals

Installing new Dana 30 inner seals

CJinVA

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep CJ7
Replacing both my front inner axle seals using a homemade press made from 1/2" threaded rod, 2 nuts, large washers, and a couple of plumbing fittings that seem to fit the seal perfectly. I installed 1 seal successfully, but the other went in crooked and is now most likely ruined. This was annoying, but is not a big deal since they're only $10 ... now it's 1 weekend later and I've got the replacement.

Anyway, I'd read somewhere that you should put some gear oil on the outside of the seal and on the inside of the diff housing before installing the seals. So, the seal that went in correctly was installed with gear oil on the outside. Now, prior to installing the 2nd (or really 3rd) replacement seal, I decided to do a little more searching and I found info saying you should put silicone gasket sealer on the outside of the seal before you install!?

OK, I'll use RTV on the next seal ... wait a sec, should that 1st seal have been installed with RTV? If so, then should I actually knock out the good seal, get another replacement, and install with RTV? Don't mean to make too much of this, but I can't imagine having to take everything apart again to do this over.

:confused:

LOL its ok most times the factory dosent use RTV either. I personally do use it however I wouldnt remove a good one just to add it. I would smear some around the edge of the installed one and install the other with it. :chug:

LOL its ok most times the factory dosent use RTV either. I personally do use it however I wouldnt remove a good one just to add it. I would smear some around the edge of the installed one and install the other with it. :chug:

Thanks Gert! That's what I thought ... just couldn't stand the thought of getting everything back together, then finding out there's a leak.

Thanks again - :chug:

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom