Installing Windshield... Gasket Goes Which Way?

Installing Windshield... Gasket Goes Which Way?

Manhattan

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ-8: SBC, SM465, D300, 4.5" R.E. Extreme, 35" BFG MTs, 20/30 with 4.56 Gears, Detroits F&R, Moser/Warn axles, XworX Full Cage
It'd be great if the gasket was labeled "TOP", "BOTTOM", "INSIDE", "OUTSIDE", "Glass Channel", "Frame Channel"... but it's not. It is NOT symmetrical in that the channels (one for windshield, one for frame) are not centered. At this point, I don't even know which channel is for glass and which is for the frame - the gasket will flop inside-out... or right-side-out... not sure at this point.

Anyone solve this little puzzle before?

I took mine to a place here local and they have broke my original glass and another glass trying to get it right. Glad I'm not in a hurry. I'm through with doing glass anymore. it's too much a pain in the glass.

If you bought one of those fat gaskets from on of the online jeep parts retailer, just send it back and get your money back. Take your jeep to a windshield place and pay to get an American gasket to have it put in. You will be glad you did.

I bought a new windshield frame and a gasket from one of the retailers and paid a professional to come to my house and install it... Windshield broke. He thought it was because the gasket was so thick.

So I went to a glass place and ordered a new windshield and gasket. When it came in and they tried to install it... Windshield broke.

Now the good news about taking it to a glass shop. They just cut me out a new one and they cut it 1/4" shorter on the top. Went in like a charm.

Apparently my aftermarket windshield has a nudge less room than it should, but putting a windshield in takes practice.

just my .02

Glass should go in the center slot.

On mine the rubber has some lines on it. Inside looks like this; l ll l outside edge, with center slightly raised, then outside edge.

Outside looks something like this; l lll l

The glass looks wider from the bottom so the rubber surround should as well and you just slip around the glass.

I could find glass for $80 but it was worth me not screwing with. I paid $100 for new glass and install on CL. I just know I would have to break one to learn to do it so I decided not to try it. :D

They used some nylon cord (like 550) with a little piece of wood on one end and placed around inner most slot of the entire rubber piece. One person held up the frame and layed glass from outside of frame (toward hood) and pushed in while the guy on inside pulled the cord and it allowed the rubber to pop over the lip.

Something like this, where they used weedeater line.

Jeep Glass Windshield Installation - Offroaders.com 4x4 off-road trail reports, tech articles, 4x4 clubs, offroad links

I took mine to a place here local and they have broke my original glass and another glass trying to get it right. Glad I'm not in a hurry. I'm through with doing glass anymore. it's too much a pain in the glass.
x1000 I helped a buddy put a new gasket in his wrangler and that was the biggest pita I've ever been a part of. We made a pact after that if glass was involed we would gladly pay someone else to do it. It can be done but you better be ready for a battle.:eek:

x1000 I helped a buddy put a new gasket in his wrangler and that was the biggest pita I've ever been a part of. We made a pact after that if glass was involed we would gladly pay someone else to do it. It can be done but you better be ready for a battle.:eek:

The guys that did mine took more time getting the frame out of the box than putting the glass in, something like 15 minutes total and I was on my way. :poke:

I would have broke it for sure, I just know it. Not that the $80 is so much, but then I would probably be so mad I may just stomp on the frame or stab it with the screwdriver I would be using to help get that rubber over the lip. :D Breaking glass is just a bad feeling.

Which reminds me, I can't wait to get a new cel phone. I am plotting ways to get my revenge on this SOB, dropping calls and slow internet! I will do it much better than Office Space :laugh:

Mine went in like a charm.. First shot almost by accident. I set it up and figured I would do a trial run then reset it up, take some pics and do a right up on it. As soon as I started to pul the rope the glass slid right in. 60 seconds later and a little bit of work with a plastic putty knife it was in. I would definitely do it again.
9a3fb0d1.jpg
74a8c433.jpg

I placed a couple of firm blankets folded just smaller then the glass on the table, set the glass on top of the blankets. Installed the seal into the frame with the seam of the seal on the bottom, it was pretty easy to figure out what side went out. I then soaked some nylon cord.. either 1/4" or 7 mm in soapy water and stuffed it into the inside groove of the frame. I laid the frame on top of the glass and slowly pulled the rope out while a buddy pushed down with light pressure on the sides of the frame. when the glass slid completely into one side of the seal I pushed the other end of the glass to make sure it was all the way in. Then continued to pul cord as buddy put pressure on it, just enough to keep it from coming out, when I got the whole bottom in I made sure to push the glass in tight. after that it was easy sailing. pulled cord, applied light pressure... when the corners got tight or any part started to get crazy I sprayed it with soapy water and used the plastic putty knife to work the seal around the glass. Oh the cord had to be pulled from the bottom.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom