Steering Is a beefy steering box mount bracket NEEDED?

Steering Is a beefy steering box mount bracket NEEDED?

NotTJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 258 T150 D20 D30 AMC20 33" Yoko MT
My new to me 78 CJ has power steering and the box is leaky. I am gonna pull it and reseal and in the meantime was going to install one those beefy thick steel brackets because all the sellers of said brackets say my stock box could tear off the frame. Is this accurate? I have 33's on stock axles. I don't plan to do a ton of street driving - more trail fun. Nothing insane but I also don't want to ruin an outing because my steering box came off. Is the heavy duty steering box necessary for just 33s or spend that money elsewhere?

Solution
I guess for a small cost I should do it. Now I’m fearing backing out the vertical bolts that attach to the frame since I assume they go into a threaded nut in the frame! I assume that hasn’t moved possibly since 78 and rust may have taken over the threads 😱
clean the bolt holes re tap, So far, I haven't torn my steering box off with 33's and wild to quasi wild trial use.
Here's my .02 cents:

Most recommendations I've seen recommend a beefier steering box mount when going over 33" tires and/or installing a front locker. From two sources: "The stock Jeep® CJ steering box mounts are stamped steel (1/8"), and not known for their strength. If you have tires larger than 33", and/or a front locker, the steering brace above is not enough to hold the box in place." Others will have their opinions, but I have 35" tires, a 4" lift, and the stock bracket. Mine is a daily driver on streets, and some light trails when hunting/camping. I don't do any rock climbing or mudding usually. I did install a dual stabilizer and one of those Rugged Ridge steering braces. But I was going for freeway stability, not offroad strength. I can do 75mph on the freeway and steer with one finger. Never any death wobble or bump steer. Four years or so with this rig now and no issues with my mounting bracket. But I do sometimes wonder...

You stated you would do little street driving, but more trail rides. So different from my normal use. For the under $150 or so such a bracket costs ($145 for the M.O.R.E. bracket or $119 for the JT Outfitters), I would go ahead and do it if I were removing the steering box anyway and concerned about peace of mind when out on outings. You'll eventually hit a bit tougher trail, want larger tires, or in some way make a mod that will cause you to later regret not doing the upgraded bracket when you had the chance. I know some day I'll break down and do it to mine for the same peace of mind.

I did it on mine for future upgrades, Maybe 33s. Hopefully I will be able to stay with the 2 1/2 inch lift, 1ED903C6-1DF0-481B-B9C0-5D0B000204EA.jpegD5E19358-792D-4443-BCF2-C7DA6B4667E2.jpeg

I guess for a small cost I should do it. Now I’m fearing backing out the vertical bolts that attach to the frame since I assume they go into a threaded nut in the frame! I assume that hasn’t moved possibly since 78 and rust may have taken over the threads 😱

I had to replace one nut, not to bad. I cut down an old wrench for inside the frame tightening. 81ABD9C8-35F8-4C44-AB38-89AFF6A94CA1.jpeg

I had the bumper off just to get it out of the way, but most of the work was from the side through these holes including looking and a small flashlight. I might have used a screw driver and magnet through the front. The wrench came in through the back hole. EADCF044-DAF6-4647-8DE9-01C91EA83BC9.jpeg

clean the bolt holes re tap, So far, I haven't torn my steering box off with 33's and wild to quasi wild trial use.

Solution
Yeah I probably didn’t need it either, but you only go around once........

Thats the answer I needed. I don't really see how the new bracket does anything more since it looks to attach to same points. My only fear is that the nuts in the frame break when I try to back them out to remove the steering box (to reseal it).

The problem is not the mechanical attachment to the frame, or even the welded nuts coming loose off the frame. It’s the fatigued original bracket. The failure will present itself gradually making weird clunks when turning that can be remedied by tightening bolts only to reoccur a short time after. At this time, you need to replace the mounting bracket. Iike you, I was hesitant to replace the original bracket.

Last edited:
Correct. Once replaced this will never be a weakness again.

I'm gonna see what happens with the nuts. If they break ill want to replate the bottom of the frame there and weld in new nuts.

I've heard it helps with steering drift... who knows? I've purchased, but yet to install:
  • Steering Box Brace • M.O.R.E. SB7686Z
  • Steering Column Lower Bearing • Wolffeng • M109SS

One I had not heard of. Probably should work

My thoughts too. How could you mess this up - I’ll have to wait and see I guess lol. Also I could look into adding the welded nut to the bracket so I have a through the frame bolt too.

Got my bracket from Rust Busters. I am sad to say its chinese. I'll run it but its quite chinese - crappy plated washers and all. SO I won't recommend this brand since its barely cheaper than an American part but I will say the beefy bracket is substantial compared to the thin stock stuff. Now mine could be made of melted down toasters instead of good steel....lets see if bends like a harbor freight breaker bar....

Sorry to hear about the quality of the new bracket. It should be stronger than what came off however. Those original brackets were never designed for off road use, in my opinion, and definitely are having a tough time lasting as long as the vehicle. Not sure about the rest of you but the endless number of potholes in Colorado Springs will destroy a suspension not to mention what the myriad number of dirt roads can do as well. Like Belizean, I went with the M.O.R.E (mountain off road enterprises) product. Very Heavy and solidly welded. As a matter of fact, they have many quality products for off road use. It doesn't hurt that they are made right here in Colorado and don't charge shipping over $75.00 either. With all of the original parts reaching their life expectancy on my 84, I've found myself upgrading to the stronger replacement part each time. Just makes good sense. I think you'll be okay, fingers crossed.

Better to upgrade in the garage than find out on the trail I should have upgraded.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks