Steering Is a beefy steering box mount bracket NEEDED?

NotTJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 258 T150 D20 D30 AMC20 33" Yoko MT
My new to me 78 CJ has power steering and the box is leaky. I am gonna pull it and reseal and in the meantime was going to install one those beefy thick steel brackets because all the sellers of said brackets say my stock box could tear off the frame. Is this accurate? I have 33's on stock axles. I don't plan to do a ton of street driving - more trail fun. Nothing insane but I also don't want to ruin an outing because my steering box came off. Is the heavy duty steering box necessary for just 33s or spend that money elsewhere?

Solution
I guess for a small cost I should do it. Now I’m fearing backing out the vertical bolts that attach to the frame since I assume they go into a threaded nut in the frame! I assume that hasn’t moved possibly since 78 and rust may have taken over the threads 😱
clean the bolt holes re tap, So far, I haven't torn my steering box off with 33's and wild to quasi wild trial use.
I moved on to installing my beef bracket but I'm either doing something wrong or the part was made incorrectly. Which is it? I think they cut the bracket to fit a frame without a spring hanger - if you have a spring hanger there is a gap at the crossmember between the steering bracket and crossmember which looks to be about the thickness of the spring hanger. I don't have the patience to return the bracket so if we determine the problem is with the bracket and not with me I will cut a spacer to fit on top of the bracket and bolt it down. First picture shows how I have the bracket attached to lower frame. Second and third picture show the gap from the top. Am I doing it wrong somehow or do I need to put some spacers under there and warn Jeep folks to stay away from this Rust Busters or whatever brand?

IMG_8709.jpeg

IMG_8710.jpeg
IMG_8711.jpeg

I have the MORE one. Comes with the bolts and spacers, nuts and washers. Here are a couple pictures. 38EAD40C-8BB7-428D-9B2A-43057FE76D3E.jpeg792E574B-B1C3-436D-93D2-A4F94A9B5C67.jpegD0542883-AFD6-45E8-9F3A-56103AEEAEEB.jpeg2A5855F0-5F55-4C32-9377-E98EC5DAD5C3.jpeg

While I do not have one of these, I do see some with and some without the spacer you are referencing. Here's a few pics of the "Big Daddy" bracket:

Bracket-on-Frame-Left.jpg Bolt-in-Frame.jpg Bolt-Thru-Bumper.jpg

The M.O.R.E. bracket actually includes a 1/4" spacer and includes using it in the instructions.

bracket_doc.jpgbracket_doc_2.jpg

You must use the right size spacer. Don’t mount like the red unit in the previous images. Your unit is okay.

Sorry my question wasn't about the spacer behind the shackle mount - that is critical and must be run. My question is about the holes in the crossmember. As you can see my bracket does not reach the holes in the crossmember. I've determined that it must be the bracket as sold to me - I will cut spacer to fit between the crossmember and the steering bracket but its a real shame I bought a junk china product for my Jeep. I should have returned this the second I saw the cosmoline.

Yea the MORE fits flush. You do also drill a new hole on top. No biggie. I try to only buy quality as much as possible. Once in a while you just can’t.

I'm ordering the MORE. This is rust busters thing is trash. Looking online I notice a couple people selling this exact part. Fishbone seems to be the same thing and when you look at their pics you can see one crossmember bolt goes in crooked (which is how this one would end up fitting) and you can see they built it to fit flush again the frame WITHOUT the shackle mount there.

You need spacers there too, or you will end up with a crooked/misaligned bracket.

Attachments

• E011D6F8-4CDC-45B9-B19C-F5009D943511.jpeg
    E011D6F8-4CDC-45B9-B19C-F5009D943511.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 12
Spacers would work...if they had included them...or maybe if they had cut it right in the first place that part would go up all the way to the crossmember. Junk

It’d be less than ideal to have a flush fit on that stamped steel crossmember. Ultimately, it’s your call.

Spacers would work...if they had included them...or maybe if they had cut it right in the first place that part would go up all the way to the crossmember. Junk
Figure you are going in a different direction now, but for another project on the Jeep I found a wide variety of spacers I needed at the mom and pop hardware store near me

Flush fit to crossmember is LESS ideal?
2 or 3 bolts at the top at the cross member ? The MORE has 3 in a triangular pattern. 9A3704A6-1BAE-4C83-8488-AF7BFCB561E0.jpeg

I have a shop and cut a spacer the size of the whole section that presses against crossmember. 3 little spacers wouldnt have much contact. And yes 3 bolts through crossmember like MORE.

That a boy!

On my last CJ7 I was running 33's 90% street driven. Decided to upgrade the steering bracket to improve tracking and wander. When I pulled the stock 2 piece bracket off, one piece had a crack running through it, not easily visible while fitted to the jeep. The new bracket bracket (in my case it was from Rugged Ridge) tightened up the steering a lot.
I'm glad I did that job before it completely failed me out on the road or on a trail somewhere.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Likewise on my shackle hangers. 2 of 4 were cracked when i changed out new better hardware for the old. I got lucky it didn’t break just going down the road.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom