Is Summers Brothers full-floating enough to strengthen AMC 20?

Is Summers Brothers full-floating enough to strengthen AMC 20?
Rosette weld

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending the 20 but mine has Rosette :) welds more like what you see on a Dana axle where Olddogs looks like it was fri afternoon about quitin time. :D

Wasn't meant to correct anyone just thought it should be included in this thread. :D

My 44, 4 per side.

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending the 20 but mine has Rosette :) welds more like what you see on a Dana axle where Olddogs looks like it was fri afternoon about quitin time. :D

I wouldnt toss his after the money he already sank into it. A long long time ago I had one bend on my CJ5 . I replaced it with another AMC20 :rolleyes: before I knew diddly pooh about Cjs. You guys might have figured out Im not a welder. :D Any welding I need has gotten farmed out. Lately my brother has helped out. Hopefully I learn the different types of welds from him.

Wasn't meant to correct anyone just thought it should be included in this thread. :D

My 44, 4 per side.

I have no problem being corrected. I embrace it. :chug: The objective is to get it right. I would like to find out how many are on the AMC20 though. I guess I can look while I swap out my shocks tomorrow. :D

I would suspect the same amount, 4 a side

Well ... though my expectation is not 100% fulfilled, i think i ve got a lot of guidance how to achieve it. So special thanks to you petescj, torxhead and olddog. Pro and cons are normal, but i can see you guys really care each others and args here are based on fact. Love this forum. Thanks so much for all of you guys.

Warm regards
Deru

I'm still wondering where we can get a full floating kit for an AMC20 ? Indonesia? I don't think Summers Brothers has made these for years.
But I did find out that the Warn 28771 hubs will work with those full floating axles.
WRN-20990.jpg

You right! Hard to find it, even in eBay. In Indonesia is none at all. Meanwhile, Warn products were also discontinued.

I was lucky. Someone brought it from the US long time ago. But he was lazy to install it and finally his Jeep then was sold and the kit was forgotten. Three weeks ago, he accidentally found it when he was cleaning the barn. He then advertised it in local internet forum, so i bought it for about $640.

For me, it was like a dream. As i was so tired with AMC20 bearings replacements since 2 decades ago, which always eat the shaft, and new shaft need new hub, so i was dreaming to have full floater kit to have my Jeep axle as robust as Land Cruiser or LR Defender. Finally my dream come true :)

Regarding the Warn locking hub, i have no idea whether it can be fitted on SB full floating. Either, i don't plan to have locking hub for rear axles.

Last edited:
That was a great deal you found.:chug: Last I heard they were $1500 new.
If you don't plan to flat tow it I think you are right in wanting the drive flange instead of the locking hub.

That was a great deal you found.:chug: Last I heard they were $1500 new.

Yes, i heard that, plus 40% custom taxes plus around $500 shipping cost from US to Indonesia...

If you don't plan to flat tow it I think you are right in wanting the drive flange instead of the locking hub.

No, just for daily workmate. Beside, i've no choice, as that is the only FF kit i found around my region :)

I'm still wondering where we can get a full floating kit for an AMC20 ? Indonesia? I don't think Summers Brothers has made these for years.
But I did find out that the Warn 28771 hubs will work with those full floating axles.
WRN-20990.jpg

Dave, I am really not sure how those hublocks will work. I have had my Warn F.F. equipped Dana 44 since the late '90s and it has the external hublocks as shown in the pic I sent:

It does require a set screw to hold it in position. Since they are no longer made like that, I just drill and tap a hole in an existing Warn hublock when once in a while I clobber one on a rock since they do stick out with only 8" wheels
I think the op really has a problem keeping dirt out of the bearings, front and rear and I am not sure how the ffs extra bearings will help that much, There does seem to be a sealing issue with the bearings and water/mud entering might be the problem which would require more maintaince. I wonder if an additional seal would help here if that would be reasonably possible. My $.02

Unless you plan to flat tow the selectable hubs are not all that desirable, they become the weak link in the system.

I have those hubs. They are not weak. I've roasted the 33" tires on dry pavement many times with my Dana 44 with a Detroit Locker. Left two black marks on the pavement. With hard four wheeling for 7 years on the FF conversion. I have never had a problem.

I have them also and while I don't do burnouts with my 6 cyl cj they remain the weak point in the axle. Dana 44 or otherwise.

A drive flange (the gear that replaces the locking parts) is always stronger that a locking hub.;) Less parts and a bigger, thicker drive gear. Has to be stronger.
I'm not saying lockouts won't stand up to abuse, just saying they are the weak link.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom